[sci.military] Naval Prefixes

mikem@blake.acs.washington.edu (Michael M. Martinez) (04/22/89)

From: mikem@blake.acs.washington.edu (Michael M. Martinez)

The following countries have prefixes before the names of their ships.

Country      -   -   -   Prefix

Argentina    -   -   -   ARA

Australia    -   -   -   HMAS (Her Majesty's Australian Ship)

Bangladesh   -   -   -   BNS

Barbados     -   -   -   BCGS

Bolivia      -   -   -   FNB

Brunei       -   -   -   KDB

Canada       -   -   -   HMCS (Her Majesty's Canadian Ship)

Columbia     -   -   -   ARC

Denmark      -   -   -   HDMS

Ecuador      -   -   -   BAE

Fiji         -   -   -   HMFS

Germany, BRD -   -   -   FGS

Greece       -   -   -   H.S. (Hellenic Ship)

Guyana       -   -   -   GDFS

India        -   -   -   INS

Indonesia    -   -   -   KRI (Kapal di Republik Indonesia)

Iran         -   -   -   IS

Ireland      -   -   -   LE

Israel       -   -   -   INS (Israeli Naval Ship)

Kenya        -   -   -   KNS

Malaysia     -   -   -   KD (Kapal Diraja)

Netherlands  -   -   -   Hr Ms

New Zealand  -   -   -   HMNZS

Nigeria      -   -   -   NNS

Norway       -   -   -   KNM (Naval), K/V (Coast Guard)

Oman         -   -   -   SNV (Sultanate Naval Vessel)

Pakistan     -   -   -   PNS

Peru         -   -   -   BAP (Burque Armada Peruana)

Philippines  -   -   -   RPS (Republic of Philippines Ship)

Poland       -   -   -   ORP (Okret Rzeczpospolitei Polskiej)

Portugal     -   -   -   NRP

Singapore    -   -   -   RSS

South Africa -   -   -   SAS (South African Ship)

Sri Lanka    -   -   -   SLNS

Thailand     -   -   -   HTMS

Trinidad and Tabago  -   T.T.S.

United Kingdom   -   -   HMS (Her Majesty's Ship)

United States    -   -   USS (United States Ship)

Uruguay      -   -   -   R.O.U.

If there are any errors, additions, or deletions, please let me know!

mikem@blake.acs.washington.edu
Information compiled from Jane's Fighting Ships

royf@roxanne.StPaul.GOV (Roy Forsstrom) (04/25/89)

From: royf@roxanne.StPaul.GOV (Roy Forsstrom)

In article <5840@cbnews.ATT.COM> mikem@blake.acs.washington.edu (Michael M. Martinez) writes:

>Country      -   -   -   Prefix
>
>Fiji         -   -   -   HMFS

France        -   -   -   FS

>Germany, BRD -   -   -   FGS

Once on the USS California we painted FS ## (I don't remember the number) on
the side, flew a French flag and tried to attack the task force under cover
of darkness. It worked until the next morning when a British Helo on
patrol spotted us and realized the French didn't have a nuclear powered ship.

Well, you know some people do really get into war games! :/

Roy Forsstrom              royf@pwcs.stpaul.gov