[sci.military] Kissinger on Micronukes

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (04/07/89)

From: sun!portal!cup.portal.com!mmm
As I recall, Henry Kissinger in one of his books used as an example of
how technology can suddenly change the political environment, a speculation
of the effect of the development of a nuclear bullet.  In particular,
sponge californium.  Californium has a critical mass of a few grams, so
in principle a bullet might be developed which would produce a nuclear
explosion on impact.

Of course, the actual example used by HK is absurd.  Californium is so
radioactive and has such a short half-life that it could not be an effective
weapon, even for asassination.

But what if a highly-saturated slug of palladium can be forced into sudden
fusion by impact.  Might be a nice time to move to the Mariana Islands.

bobs@uunet.UU.NET (bobs) (04/08/89)

From: vrdxhq!vrdxhq.verdix.com!bobs@uunet.UU.NET (bobs)

> From: sun!portal!cup.portal.com!mmm
> As I recall, Henry Kissinger in one of his books used as an example of
> how technology can suddenly change the political environment, a speculation
> of the effect of the development of a nuclear bullet.  In particular,
> sponge californium.  Californium has a critical mass of a few grams, so
> in principle a bullet might be developed which would produce a nuclear
> explosion on impact.

I remember reding that the depleted uranium rounds of the GAU-8
( 30 mm gun on A-10s) deforms enough on penetration that it becomes
a critical mass and puts out a burst of radiation. I believe gamma
was mentioned but it has been a while. The emphasis of the report was
that the radiation was enough to have an affect on the vehicle crew.
Source was a report in "For your Eyes Only" column in The old
Strategy & Tactics magazine. I can dig up the original cite if desired.

Bob Smart (bsmart@verdix.com)

[mod.note:  I'll head off a number of probably replies by stating,
"I don't buy it."  I understand that DU (depleted uraniaum) has a
significant pyrophoric effect (i.e., it burns), but I sincerely doubt
that it can be brought to any degree of fusion by this impact,
tremendous though it may be.

That said, I invite anyone who knows (and can say) anything factual
in this regard to contradict or vindicate me. 8-)   - Bill ]

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) (04/08/89)

From: BACS Data Communications Group <commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu>

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) writes:

>...Henry Kissinger in one of his books used as an example of
>how technology can suddenly change the political environment, a
>speculation of the effect of the development of a nuclear
>bullet.  In particular, sponge californium...
>
>Of course, the actual example used by HK is absurd.  Californium
>is so radioactive and has such a short half-life that it could
>not be an effective weapon, even for asassination.
>
>But what if a highly-saturated slug of palladium can be forced
>into sudden fusion by impact...

Erroneous though it may prove, it's fun to speculate during the
infancy of cold fusion (the year zero AF), after the fashion of Mary
Shelley et al in the age of frog-leg electronics.

Like it or not, anything as potentially powerful as cold fusion
probably has weapons applications.

A pencil-sized metal bar released 34 megajoules of heat over a long
period.  One megajoule is roughly equivalent to a stick of dynamite
(T. Clancy, _The Cardinal of the Kremlin_).

Lattices containing stored energy are reminiscent of lasers. If the
deuterium or tritium could be stimulated to fuse in unison (by
injecting muons or whatever), it might be a fusion laser (i.e., a
FASER - I love it!), or a mini neutron-bomb, .50-cal slug that goes
off like a case of dynamite (hopefully with arming delay so that it
doesn't explode on impact too close to the launcher), terrorist
volksnuke hand grenade, nuclear shaped-charge, nonfission H-bomb
trigger, EMP power supply, SDI weapon in itself or as energy source
for (already known) nuclear-pumped X-ray laser.

--

Frank
reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

john@gatech.edu (John DeArmond) (04/11/89)

From: stiatl!john@gatech.edu (John DeArmond)

In article <5514@cbnews.ATT.COM> vrdxhq!vrdxhq.verdix.com!bobs@uunet.UU.NET (bobs) writes:

>From: vrdxhq!vrdxhq.verdix.com!bobs@uunet.UU.NET (bobs)
>

>> From: sun!portal!cup.portal.com!mmm
>> As I recall, Henry Kissinger in one of his books used as an example of
>> how technology can suddenly change the political environment, a speculation
>> of the effect of the development of a nuclear bullet.  In particular,
>> sponge californium.  Californium has a critical mass of a few grams, so
>> in principle a bullet might be developed which would produce a nuclear
>> explosion on impact.

Californium is not a candidate for this.  Exactly because of it's
spontaneous fission which results in a neutron field at all times and
because of its cost (several thousand dollars a MICROGRAM), it would
not work in practice.

Consider that the critical mass of plutonium is only a couple of Kg's,
a mass of perhaps the size of a baseball, nuclear rounds for light
cannon are already practical.  Also consider that such techniques as
neutron triggers can substantially reduce the mass of fissional material
and consider that an explosion from a nuclear bullet need not be very
effecient, conventional technology could be used to make much smaller
rounds than one would think.

>I remember reding that the depleted uranium rounds of the GAU-8
>( 30 mm gun on A-10s) deforms enough on penetration that it becomes
>a critical mass and puts out a burst of radiation. I believe gamma
>was mentioned but it has been a while. The emphasis of the report was
>
>[mod.note:  I'll head off a number of probably replies by stating,
>"I don't buy it."  I understand that DU (depleted uraniaum) has a
>significant pyrophoric effect (i.e., it burns), but I sincerely doubt
>that it can be brought to any degree of fusion by this impact,
>tremendous though it may be.

Bill is indeed correct.  U-238 (depleted uranium) has no critical mass.
It will not sustain a nuclear reaction without outside nuclear influence
such as a fast neutron flux.  Metallic U is pyrophoric and makes a
pretty good mess if it penetrates the armor.  The tiny amount of radiation
emitted by U-238 is a non-existent hazard when compared to flying globs
of high velocity, very heavy, white hot, and burning U metal.  Not to
mention the spalled armor shards.  The nuclear aspect of depleted U
projectiles is strictly incidental.

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Sales Technologies, Inc.    Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You

yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) (04/11/89)

From: yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi)
In article <5515@cbnews.ATT.COM> commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) writes:
>military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) writes:
>
>>...Henry Kissinger in one of his books used as an example of
>>how technology can suddenly change the political environment, a
>>speculation of the effect of the development of a nuclear
>>bullet...

>>...what if a highly-saturated slug of palladium can be forced
>>into sudden fusion by impact...

>Erroneous though it may prove, it's fun to speculate during the
>infancy of cold fusion (the year zero AF), after the fashion of Mary
>Shelley et al in the age of frog-leg electronics.

Here's an idea: Variable-Yield Fusion Bullets

GDW has an interesting SF wargame called "The Bloodtree Rebellion".
One of the ideas in the game is that the infantry carries automatic
rifles which fire nuclear bullets whose charge be "dialed" from 0 (no
explosion) to something like .1kt.

So, just imagine a dial on each assault rifle magazine labelled
Deuterium Saturation, and your trooper can dial one setting to take
out a sniper, another to take out a tank, and yet another to take out
a tank *battalion*.

(An interesting rule in the aforementioned game is that if an infantry
unit is ambushed, the soldiers may panic and use "high-dial" fire --
which has the effects of (1) usually annihilating the enemy, (2)
turning forest terrain into clear terrain, and (3) making the local
natives *really* angry.)

>Frank
>reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

Brian Yamauchi				University of Rochester
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu		Computer Science Department

moshe@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Moshe Yudkowsky) (04/19/89)

From: moshe@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Moshe Yudkowsky)
No way would the depleted uranium come a critical mass.

My professional, seat-of-the-pants, physicist's guess.

--
      Moshe Yudkowsky   moshe@ihnet.att.com  att!ihnet!moshe
  "From stupidity there is always something to be learned, but

allanh@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (04/26/89)

From: sco!allanh@ucscc.UCSC.EDU
For what it's worth, it wasn't Henry Kissinger who first
mentioned californium bullets ("atomic sixgun"), but Herman Kahn,
in his book _On Nuclear War_.  I believe he was among the first
people to mention "doomsday weapons" as a means of "defense."

al