[sci.military] Submarine Successes

willner%cfa183@harvard.harvard.edu (Steve Willner P-316 x57123) (04/22/89)

From: willner%cfa183@harvard.harvard.edu (Steve Willner P-316 x57123)
As expected, many people knew the most recent sinking of a surface
ship by a submarine.  Now for a harder question:  What was the
_second_ most recent such sinking?  (And no, I don't know the answer!)

rupp@cod.nosc.mil (William L. Rupp) (04/25/89)

From: rupp@cod.nosc.mil (William L. Rupp)

--------
How about the U.S.S. Indianapolis, sunk in August of 1945?  I'll
bet that was the last *U.S.* ship sunk by a sub.  Perhaps we sank
a Japanese ship after that, but maybe not.  I think the Indianapolis
was sunk very close to the cease fire.

Bill
---------------------
Four more days to go.
---------------------

bsmart@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Smart) (04/26/89)

From: vrdxhq!vrdxhq.verdix.com!bsmart@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Smart)

In article <5891@cbnews.ATT.COM>, rupp@cod.nosc.mil (William L. Rupp) writes:
> --------
> How about the U.S.S. Indianapolis, sunk in August of 1945?  I'll
> bet that was the last *U.S.* ship sunk by a sub.  Perhaps we sank
> a Japanese ship after that, but maybe not.  I think the Indianapolis
> was sunk very close to the cease fire.

The USS Torsk conducted the last successful submarine attack by a US
sub during WW2. I can't remember the exact date but it was August 1945
( look in Silent Victory by Clay Blair I'm pretty sure it is there)
The USS Torsk is now on display in Baltimore Harbor see it at USENIX!

Bob Smart (bsmart@verdix.com)