[sci.military] National Guard and Reserves

paulf@ece-csc.UUCP (Paul D. Franzon) (03/24/89)

From: paulf@ece-csc.UUCP (Paul D. Franzon)
I have just established contact with the local Guard commander for the
intention to train with them and asked him about some of the issues raised
in this group.

1. The state militia was created because the states were scared of each other.
   In fact they apparently joke around here about the possibility of calling
   out the National Guard to go to war with LA about water rights!

2. Until 1983 most drills were paid through state funds (via federal
   appropriations) and no federal troops could assist during those drills.
   My interpretation of this was incorrect, and today the NG are federal
   troops most of the time.  In fact if the Governor called out the Guard
   the president can federalize them thus removing the Governors power.
   This happened in AL during the civil rights days.  (Wallace called out
   the Guard to stop blacks on Campus.  The president federalized them.)

3. One of the most successful units in '44 in France was the 30th Inf Div --
   A National Guard Division.  It landed on D+2 or 3, lead the 3rd Army
   out of the Braccoge and had the most kills and POWs for any American
   formation on that front.  Admitidly, the preparation for D-Day was very
   thorough, but still it was entirely a Guard unit.  My commander claimed
   that his unit is better than some regular units - because those units
   have to do so much else as well as train for war that they sometimes
   dont get much more time for that than a Guard unit.  It was always
   my Australian experience that Reserve training was more intense than
   regular training activities.

Paul Franzon
Captain
Royal Australian Infantry Corps

major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) (03/24/89)

From: ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt)

   I have a copy of the 'Annual Report of the Reserve Forces Policy Board'
   Fiscal Year 1987, which addresses a number of issues about the Guard
   and the Reserves.  It goes into great detail about Force Structure,
   Personnel, Equipment, Training, Facilities, Budget, and Readiness.
   If anyone has any specific questions that this document might cover,
   I'd be glad to quote from the data.

   I'd say the basic difference between the Guard and Reserves is that the
   Guard is made up of mainly combat arms units and have a both a federal
   and state mission.  The Reserves are made up of mainly combat support
   and service support units.

   According to the 88-89 Army 'Green Book':

   National Guard:

      Combat Arms:
      8 Infantry Divisions
      2 Armor Divisions
     14 Infantry Brigades (Separate)
      3 Armor Brigades (Sep)
      4 Armored Cavalry Regiments
     18 Field Artillery Brigades
      2 Air Defense Brigades
      2 Special Forces Groups

      Combat Support:
      1 Aviation Brigade
      4 Combat Engineer Brigades
      4 Signal Brigades
      4 Military Police Brigades

      Service Support
      3 Medical Brigades
      1 Transportation Brigade
      1 Support Command

    Army Reserve:

       Combat Arms:
       3 Infantry Brigades
       3 Field Artillery Brigades
       2 Special Forces Groups

      21 Reserve Commands     (Have no idea what these guys consist of)
      12 Training Divisions
       2 Manuever Area Commands
      11 Medical/Hospital Brigade-size units
       4 Transportation Brigades
       4 Military Police Brigades/Commands
       5 Civil Affairs Brigades
       4 Construction Engineer Brigades
       2 Signal Commands
       3 Chemical Brigades

    So, you can see, by briefly scanning these lists - how the complexion
    between the Guard and Reseves are made up.

    major

news@rocksanne.UUCP (user) (03/27/89)

From: news@rocksanne.UUCP (user)

Kneton A. Hoover writes:
>most countries have a civil guard in addition to the
>regular reserves (example: FRG).

I think you are mistaken with this sentence. The only thing I can think
of that has a name like 'civil guard' is the german
'Zivilschutz' (civil protection) which is part of the 'KatS' (Katastrophen
Schutz - catastrophe prot.). This is a civilian, UNARMED service that has a
helping function in case of large scale emergencies like forestfires maybe
plane crashes or train accidents. Parts of those units also give assistance to
other countries in case of emergencies. But it is in no way a military
unit, on the contrary: Germany (FRG) has a draft law with the option for
conscientious objectors to perform other, non-military, civil services like
Zivilschutz.

If you did mean something else ( which I don't know that might be ) please
let me know and throw the above in the ....

Reiner

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>1. The state militia was created because the states were scared of each other.
>   In fact they apparently joke around here about the possibility of calling
>   out the National Guard to go to war with LA about water rights!

Historically, the states had some reason to be worried about each other.
Remember that a period of some years elapsed between independence and
the arrival of the Constitution.  During that period, the 13 states were
very nearly independent countries, printing their own money, governing
themselves, and engaging in minor border disputes.  ("State" used to mean
"country" until you careless Americans confused things... :-) :-) :-))

There was also a strong feeling that locally-run militia were less likely
to act against popular wishes than a federal army.  Consider that there
is actually a Constitutional amendment whose only purpose is to affirm
that it is legal for Congress to maintain a federal army!  That amendment
was the subject of some debate, too -- some thought that any federal army
was dangerous.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (03/29/89)

From: sun!zehntel!edw (Ed Wright)
The Guard is a state militia that can be federalized.
The reserves are a federal componant.

The reserves generally go to external conflict first.

The guard handles internal problems first.

Now just let me get up this soapbox
ok

Ill prepared for battle

Wait Just A Damn Minute !
Look at the record of the guard units in ww1 ww2 korea and nam.

Look who consistantly takes top gun at Eglin with 40 year
old men flying phantoms.

Look who kicked third div's ass in korea in team spirit in 88

the national guard and reserve training at 39 days a year
with 10 % of the budget make one formidble fighting force.

Ill just climb off this box now

Regards
Ed Wright
Active Army 1968 - 1971
Army Reserve 1971 - 1974
National Guard 1981 - now
--
     KA9AHQ   sun or ucbvax or varian ! zehntel!edw   edw@zehntel.COM

esco@tank.uchicago.edu (ross paul weiner) (03/30/89)

From: "ross paul weiner" <esco@tank.uchicago.edu>
In article <5200@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:
>From: sun!zehntel!edw (Ed Wright)

	[stuff I agree with]

The always self effacing 8-) Mr John Lehman had a wonderful piece on
last Sundays NYT Op-Ed page.  I remember my Regular CO cursing the then
SECNAV as "that damn reservist".  He argues, inter alia, for reserve
components in the following proportions, Army 2/3, Air Force 1/2 and
Navy 1/3.  He also suggests a meaningful productive period of annual
active duty at better than current pay instead of weekend drills.  My
reserve unit actually does productive work for the active forces but
that probably is unusual.

When I was active it was assumed that if the balloon went up I would
take a party of Boatswains and Gunners Mates over to the Shore
Intermediate Maintenance Activity (SIMA) or the machine shop and kidnap
everyone in sight.  The job of reservists should be to fill the empty
benches.  A program that concentrates on training reservists to fill
wartime support roles would be a credible mobilization strategy and
would support skills needed in the civilian economy - my idea not
Mr Lehman's.

--

	Ross P. Weiner		Dandy Dirks Discount Disclaimers
	esco@tank.uchicago.edu	 "You can't sue me, I'm broke!"

CIS%s41.prime.com@RELAY.CS.NET (chuck stern) (04/27/89)

From: CIS%s41.prime.com@RELAY.CS.NET (chuck stern)
What about the Air Guard's missions?  I think that the ANG has over 50%
of the fast-response comm assets (Combat Comm units) and 40% of the
Tactical Air Control System assets.
Chuck Stern                    "Keep your feet on the ground, keep reaching for
Prime Computer, Inc.            the sky, pray for snow, keep the humor dry and
500 Old Connecticut Path        keep eating those Powdermilk Biscuits"
Framingham, MA 01701
cis@s41.Prime.COM

/*  I do not claim to even KNOW who speaks for Prime, much less claiming that
     I do so myself. */