[sci.military] c-130

acoker@ub.d.umn.edu (alyce coker) (04/27/89)

From: acoker@ub.d.umn.edu (alyce coker)

I just happened to see a c-130 flying out of the Duluth Air National
Guard.  I was wondering what is the reason that it has props and not
jet engines?

aws@vax3.iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer) (04/28/89)

From: aws@vax3.iti.org (Allen W. Sherzer)

In article <5980@cbnews.ATT.COM> acoker@ub.d.umn.edu (alyce coker) writes:
   I just happened to see a c-130 flying out of the Duluth Air National
   Guard.  I was wondering what is the reason that it has props and not
   jet engines?

It does have jet engines (it's a turboprop).

  Allen
|   Allen Sherzer                         | DON'T BUILD MORE NUKES         |
|   aws@iti.org                           | until we use the ones we have. |

bsmart@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Smart) (04/28/89)

From: vrdxhq!vrdxhq.verdix.com!bsmart@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Smart)

In article <5980@cbnews.ATT.COM>, acoker@ub.d.umn.edu (alyce coker) writes:

> I just happened to see a c-130 flying out of the Duluth Air National
> Guard.  I was wondering what is the reason that it has props and not
> jet engines?

The C-130 was designed in the early 1950's when Jets had very poor low
speed performance. It was designed as a Tactical transport meaning that
it could land on unprepared runways and use very short runways.
Given the rough field criteria and the short takeoff requirement turbo-
prop was chosen there is not as much danger of FOD ( foriegn object damage)
in a turboprop as in a pure jet. The C-130 also is capable of using
JATO ( Jet assisted take off) bottles - expendable strap on booster units
that were used on first +second generation jets also.
The C-130 is very good at what it does, in fact it is the de-facto DC-3/C-47
replacement everyone kept looking for in the late 50's and all thru the 60's.
They have attempted to replace the C-130 in 1977 I saw the Boeing & McDonnell-
Douglas aircraft ( YC-14 & YC 15) doing demonstrations to the Air Force.
Both were high bypass fan-jets and were very impressive but so was their
price ( at least to the Carter administration) and it was cheaper to keep
building C-130s.

Bob Smart (bsmart@verdix.com)