[sci.military] Armor and missile attacks

esco@tank.uchicago.edu (ross paul weiner) (05/02/89)

From: ross paul weiner <esco@tank.uchicago.edu>
Newsgroups: sci.military
Cc: esco

In article <6025@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:
>From: Jim Harrison <harrisj@prism.CS.ORST.EDU>
>     Early in 1983 I was on a Coast Guard Ship undergoing Refresher Training
>     with the Navy in San Diego.  The new crash program was a major fire drill

	Great thing REFTRA

>     During our preparations I happened to start talking to a Navy ship rider
>     who had participated in the New Jersey's shakedown training a few months
>     before.  I asked him about their attitute about cruise missile dangers
>     and he said that he couldn't get them to take it seriously.  When he
>
>     Jim Harrison

This is a true story, or a no shitter, or not.

During the Vietnam war a very eager Ensign had the conn on a tin can in the
South China Sea when he saw a large unidentified object on his radar scope
at about the same time he recieved a tactical signal ordering him to change
course.  Being ready to demonstrate his proficiency he grabbed the CRYPTO
card and issued what is called a challenge, as in "Whiskey 2 Foxtrot this
is Bravo 3 Lima authenticate Delta X-Ray over".  A genuine good guy is
supposed to give the correct answer, whatever that is at the moment.  What
our friend heard next was something like, "Bravo 3 Lima this is the battle-
ship USS New Jersey, you may fire when ready."  Toys for boys, oh well.

--

	Ross P. Weiner		Dandy Dirks Discount Disclaimers
	esco@tank.uchicago.edu	 "You can't sue me, I'm broke!"