[sci.military] CIC location

military@att.att.com (Bill Thacker) (05/05/89)

From: military@att.att.com (Bill Thacker)
>>... I think you will find that the combat command and control center of
>>a modern ship *is* below main deck level; it is usually burried right in the
>>middle of the hull, giving it as much protection as possible.
>
>That's going to be news to the people serving aboard US Navy vessels --
>on every US warship I've been on, CIC has been either immediately
>behind or immediately below the bridge, which is placed well up in the
>superstructure for maximum visibility.

I believe what we have here is a difference between US and British practice.
US practice is to put CIC up high for easy access to the bridge, which is
in turn up high for the view.  British practice is to ignore the view and
put CIC in the (supposedly) least vulnerable location.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu