[sci.military] USS Ranger

GA.MAY@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU (mitchoid) (05/05/89)

From: "mitchoid" <GA.MAY@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
>From: pv04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Philip Verdieck)
>

>I was reading a book mentioning WWII, PAcific theatre, and they mentioned
>our Carrier fleet at one time as consisting of WASP, HORNET, YORKTOWN,
>LEXINGTON, ENTERPRISE, and RANGER. I had idea of the RANGER. Can anyon
>fill me in.

The Ranger (CV-4) was the first US carrier designed and built from the keel
as a carrier.  Due to limitations imposed by the Washington Naval Treaty,
she displaced on 14,500 tons with a max speed of 29.5 knots.  Aircraft
load was still a hefty 86.  A very noticable characteristic of the Ranger
was the six (3 port and 3 starboard) folding funnels.  While conducting
flight ops, the funnels would be lowered until they were almost horizontal
and out of the way.  Otherwise, the funnels would be standing vertical.
The Ranger was built by Newport News and launched in 1933 (2/25).

Because of the speed limitations, the Ranger was considered inefficient for
as a first line unit and her participation in WWII was mainly confined to
the Atlantic.  I don't have a very good summary of her operations handy,
the summary I do have merely states operations in Atlantic 1941-44 (convoy
escort?), N. Africa, raid on Norway 10/43, and finally as a training carrier
1944-1945.

[mod.note: In _Aircraft Carriers_, Roger Chesneau claims Ranger actually
launched air strikes against Vichy targets in North Africa, and against
German shipping around Norway.  - Bill ]

The Ranger was scrapped in Pennsylvania in 1947.  The Yorktown class (Yorktown,
Hornet and Enterprise) are considered to be enlarged Ranger class ships without
the funnel arrangements.

Source:

Paul Silverstone's US Warships of WWII and a Jane's 1942.

Mitchell Yee
ga.may@forsythe.stanford.edu