[sci.military] Shipboard Silver Bullets

jrll@Portia.stanford.edu (john ralls) (05/05/89)

From: john ralls <jrll@Portia.stanford.edu>
The deck plate view of Subrocs and Asrocs has always been that they
are far more trouble than they are worth.  None of the officers I know
is enthusiastic about detonating a nuclear weapon within five miles fo
himself.  (And then there was the old Mk-45 torpedo, much shorter
range: the submarine force celebrated its demise!)  The administrative
headaches are enormous:  Special training, special security, personal
reliability program, NTPI's annually, additional watches, two man
control...   I suspect no-one at sea will miss for a minute these
weapons.  Their jobs can be done much more easily by conventional
weapons and modern guidance.
John

esco@tank.uchicago.edu (ross paul weiner) (05/06/89)

From: "ross paul weiner" <esco@tank.uchicago.edu>
In article <6273@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:
>From: john ralls <jrll@Portia.stanford.edu>
>The deck plate view of Subrocs and Asrocs has always been that they
>are far more trouble than they are worth.  None of the officers I know
>is enthusiastic about detonating a nuclear weapon within five miles fo
>himself.  (And then there was the old Mk-45 torpedo, much shorter
>range: the submarine force celebrated its demise!)  The administrative
>headaches are enormous:  Special training, special security, personal
>reliability program, NTPI's annually, additional watches, two man
>control...   I suspect no-one at sea will miss for a minute these
>weapons.  Their jobs can be done much more easily by conventional
>weapons and modern guidance.
>John

Basicly I agree with one exception and a caveat.  (Exceptions and Caveats
are not Black Weapons programs 8-)).  The nuc SAM serves a valid function
by detering certain enemy mass attack formations.  I do wish it had a little
more range though.  ASW is a pain but until we can ban the sewer pipes we
must improve shipboard point defense with better over the side torpedoes and
improved torpedo counter measures. ZZ
--

	Ross P. Weiner		Dandy Dirks Discount Disclaimers
	esco@tank.uchicago.edu	 "You can't sue me, I'm broke!"