[sci.military] radar decoys

pv04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Philip Verdieck) (05/05/89)

From: Philip Verdieck <pv04+@andrew.cmu.edu>

Is the number on anti-ship radar-homing missiles high enough to make
towing small boats with radar generators feasibe? Say cut off all you
emmisions after the "Vampire" (incoming missile ;-} ) is within
20 miles, and commence powerful emmisions from the decoy...

ARPA  : Philip.Verdieck@andrew.cmu.edu  |   Carnegie-Mellon University
        PV04+@andrew.cmu.edu            |   Do not attend this college
BITNET: r746pv04@CMCCVB - KALKIN@DRYCAS |-----------------------------
UUCP  : ...!harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!pv04

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (ATW)) (05/06/89)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (ATW))

In article <6264@cbnews.ATT.COM> pv04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Philip Verdieck) writes:
>Is the number on anti-ship radar-homing missiles high enough to make
>towing small boats with radar generators feasibe? Say cut off all you
>emmisions after the "Vampire" (incoming missile ;-} ) is within
>20 miles, and commence powerful emmisions from the decoy...

As stated in my previous posting, most anti-ship missiles are actually
active radar homing, not passive radar homing. Thus, at least two
sorts of decoying is possible. Passive decoys such as corner
reflectors and chaff, provide a radar target. The other is jamming,
both deceptive (false echos) and active (overwhelm with a strong
signal). Emitting decoys usually are a variant of deceptive jamming.
Since these decoys are usually smaller than what they are trying to
simulate, the emitting decoy's deceptive jammer must make the return
echo stronger to give the impression of a larger target.

The US Navy tries to use both active and passive approaches. This
includes chaff rockets on ships and ECM equipment on ships ("Slick-32")
and helicopters. The choppers are emitting decoys.

Ted Kim                           ARPAnet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:    ...!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                PHONE:   (213) 206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             ESPnet:  tek@ouija.board

budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg) (05/06/89)

From: budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg)
Decoys are a good idea.  Consider a convoy under air attack -- the
missiles are launched and on their own (the bombers are headed home).
So it's the convoy vessels against the missile targeting systems.

(Scenario assumes convoy has been found and aircraft arrived at a
launch point; radar range yes, visual no.)

Now, consider if you take tankers (which have been in handy
surplus for the past decade or so), fill them with something --
water is fine.  And park lots of noise on deck -- chaff launchers,
radar emitters, IR flares, ...  Remotely controlling the vessel
would be a nice touch.

These decoys are inherently large radar targets, even without
all the added stuff.  Ditto for acoustic noise.  When under
attack, the tankers, sitting at the windy corners of the convoy
become sacrificial.  Now if the ballast isn't flammable, it takes
a lot of attack to sink a 500k ton tanker -- look how many
were actually lost in the Persian Gulf -- and usually because
the fire burned out of control.

Rex Buddenberg

pv04+@andrew.cmu.edu (Philip Verdieck) (05/08/89)

From: Philip Verdieck <pv04+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Regarding the tanker scenario...

The only part I don't like is that these tankers would have nowhere
the needed speed to stay with the fleet. Or are they Bats out of HEll
when empty????