[sci.military] ABM parallel processor

eugene@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Eugene Miya) (05/09/89)

From: eos!eugene@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Eugene Miya)

A test message for echo purposes.

>From: john hall <hall@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>
>The processing machine was supposed to be parallel,
>64 bits with 4 simultaneous instructions being executed.
>
>Claimed performace was 900 million instructions per second.
>This was 30 times faster than the nearest competitive system
>offered.
>
>I think the computer was a Univac, the best competitor was
>a TI scientific.  Strictly custom built.
>
>Remember this was probably 1974 technology, definitely pre-
>Cray.  The claimed performance was amazing.
>
>According to my information, they never could really figure
>out how to program the thing.

The machine was built by Burroughs (now a part of Unisys) it was
called the PEPE.  But major subcontractors included Goodyear.
There are numerous NCC papers on the machine.  288 processors,
etc.  It is relatively well documented, but few people go out of their
way to learn about specialized military processors like this
and the STARAN, etc.  What makes this machines special are their big
associative memories, (more like 1965 technology), high I/O bandwidths
(at the time), etc.

Longish signature follows "Type 'n' now"

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.