[sci.military] B1A vs. B1B

punch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (William F Punch) (05/03/89)

From: William F Punch <punch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>
I got to go to the Wright Pat air force museum this weekend (What a
fantastic place, at worst second only to National Air and Space) and
happened to see the B1A prototype there. My father works for GE and
had worked on those engines before the whole thing got cancelled.

My question is how big a difference is there between the A and B? I
know the A was supersonic and the B subsonic, but how about payload,
range etc. What were the technical reasons for changing the B to
subsonic (or was it all just political/money)? Does the B1 program
suffer a lot from getting only B's instead of the original A's.

To stretch things even farther, how different is the B1A from the
original XB-70 (range, payload, speed)? Were any of the results from the
B-70 program used in the B1, or was all that lost? Why was the B-70
cancelled (I remember a crahs but assume the cancellation was
politics). Thanks for the information.

nak@cbnews.ATT.COM (Neil A. Kirby) (05/05/89)

From: nak@cbnews.ATT.COM (Neil A. Kirby)
In article <6185@cbnews.ATT.COM> punch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (William F Punch) writes:

>From: William F Punch <punch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>
>
>My question is how big a difference is there between the A and B? I
>know the A was supersonic and the B subsonic, but how about payload,
>range etc. What were the technical reasons for changing the B to
>subsonic (or was it all just political/money)? Does the B1 program
>suffer a lot from getting only B's instead of the original A's.

	One of the BIG differences is radar cross section.  The B1-A had a
    huge radar cross section.  My electromagnetics prof did work on the RCS
    measurements for the two birds.  I'm not sure what they did to reduce
    the RCS, he wouldn't say.  Funny, this work happened about the same
    time that Carter announced Stealth...

	Is the B1-B subsonic?

    Neil Kirby
    ...cbsck!nak

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>My question is how big a difference is there between the A and B? I
>know the A was supersonic and the B subsonic, but how about payload,
>range etc. What were the technical reasons for changing the B to
>subsonic (or was it all just political/money)? ...

The differences are mostly modest improvements of one kind and another.
For example, lower radar cross-section.  The loss of supersonic capability
is really pretty unimportant, since it wasn't very useful in the first
place.  (It was available only at high altitude.)  The B-1 would probably
have been better off without the original supersonic requirement, actually.
I think they just found it inconvenient to retain supersonic speed and
said "oh, to hell with it".  I don't think payload and range have changed
much, although they may have reshuffled the payload-bay layout a bit for
bigger cruise missiles.

>To stretch things even farther, how different is the B1A from the
>original XB-70 (range, payload, speed)?

Very.  Much.  Extremely.  Range and payload probably vaguely similar,
but the difference between cruising speeds of 600 mph and 2000 mph is not
trivial!  The XB-70 was built for blazing speed at very high altitude, the
B-1A was built for modest speed at very low altitude.

> Were any of the results from the
>B-70 program used in the B1, or was all that lost?

Some of the more fundamental technology may have been relevant, but there
is so little resemblance between the aircraft that I'd be surprised if
there was much overlap.

> Why was the B-70
>cancelled (I remember a crahs but assume the cancellation was politics)....

The crash was in fact post-cancellation, I think.  The B-70 had three big
problems:  it arrived at a time when ICBMs were increasingly looking better
than manned bombers for the strategic-nuclear role, it arrived at a time
when flying slower but lower was increasingly thought to be better than
flying fast and high, and it was extremely expensive at a time when the
ICBM programs were also spending money like water.  The hardware pretty
much worked, although with delays and cost overruns, but the political
and strategic issues killed it.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (05/05/89)

From: fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <6185@cbnews.ATT.COM>, punch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (William F Punch) writes:

> To stretch things even farther, how different is the B1A from the
> original XB-70 (range, payload, speed)? Were any of the results from the
> B-70 program used in the B1, or was all that lost? Why was the B-70
> cancelled (I remember a crahs but assume the cancellation was
> politics). Thanks for the information.

The B-70 never went into service because its mission, high-speed,
high-altitude penetration of Soviet airspace wasn't going to work
with the newer classes of SAM going into service.

The B-1A had supersonic dash ability, but it couldn't do it for
very long because of high fuel consumption.  The gains bought by
supersonic dash weren't very great, and the B-1B didn't try for
it.

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (ATW)) (05/05/89)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (ATW))

In article <6185@cbnews.ATT.COM> punch@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (William F Punch) writes:
>To stretch things even farther, how different is the B1A from the
>original XB-70 (range, payload, speed)? Were any of the results from the
>B-70 program used in the B1, or was all that lost? Why was the B-70
>cancelled (I remember a crahs but assume the cancellation was
>politics). Thanks for the information.
>						>>>Bill<<<

The XB-70 was going to be the ultimate in high-altitude precision
bombing. It did pioneer some titanium construction technologies, which
I have heard were later applied to the SR-71. I don't know much about
the politics involved. But, I think one of the main reasons to cancel
the B-70 was that idea that high-altitude bombing was not the way to
go and that a low-alititude penetration strategy was better. Hence,
the mods made to the B-52 to switch it to that role. I don't know of
any relationship between B-70 and B-1.

Ted Kim                           ARPAnet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:    ...!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                PHONE:   (213) 206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             ESPnet:  tek@ouija.board

fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (05/06/89)

From: fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <6257@cbnews.ATT.COM>, tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (ATW)) writes:
> The XB-70 was going to be the ultimate in high-altitude precision
> bombing. It did pioneer some titanium construction technologies, which
> I have heard were later applied to the SR-71. I don't know much about

The two aircraft's development overlapped quite a bit, so the SR-71
wouldn't have benefitted much from the XB-70 program.  Doubt if
Lockheed talked all that much with Northa American, either.

The B-70 may have used some titanium, but the majority of its
structure and skin was stainless steel.  They spent quite a bit
getting steel honeycomb bonding down right.  Even then, the faster
bird (XB-70A) ended up having speed limitations set on it after
it lost some skin during high-speed flight because of bonding
failures.

maniac%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George W. Herbert) (05/11/89)

From: maniac%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George W. Herbert)

In article <6256@cbnews.ATT.COM> fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:
>The B-1A had supersonic dash ability, but it couldn't do it for
>very long because of high fuel consumption.  The gains bought by
>supersonic dash weren't very great, and the B-1B didn't try for
>it.

Having seen this mistake float around for ~ 20 articles, it's time to put
it to rest.
	THE B-1B IS SUPERSONIC.  The B-1A was designed to do mach 2 plus at
mis level, costing all sorts of design penalties.  The B-1B was derated to
about mach 1.2 max (but still Very supersonic) primarily for radar sig.
reasons: the intakes were made more stealthy, and the supersonic effeciency
fell through the floor...
	They don't very often, but that's primarily for range considerations,
not airframe.