[sci.military] Iowa Maneuverability

jkmedcal%uokmax@uokmax.uucp (Jeff Medcalf) (05/06/89)

From: Jeff Medcalf <jkmedcal%uokmax@uokmax.uucp>
I have seen a WWII photo of the Missouri turning inside of a destroyer while
both were doing 30 knots.

The twin rudder configuration is incredibly good in a turn vs a single rudder,
and the screws can be operated with one pair rotating clockwise and one pair
counterclockwise.  On most 2-screw ships, this cannot be done because both
shafts are linked to the same powerplant or gearbox.  Not so on the Iowas.

--
jkmedcal@uokmax.UUCP		| "Open the pod bay doors, Hal."
jkmedcal@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu	| "I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave."

welty@algol.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (05/12/89)

From: welty@algol.crd.ge.com (richard welty)
 Jeff Medcalf <jkmedcal%uokmax@uokmax.uucp> writes:
>I have seen a WWII photo of the Missouri turning inside of a destroyer while
>both were doing 30 knots.

indeed, it is very common for cocky destroyer commanders, accustomed
to outmanuvering the big ships, to assume they can outmanuver
the Iowas.  at least one destroyer has been seriously damanged when
an Iowa-class ship out-turned it and hit the destroyer's superstructure
(i can look up information on the incident if anyone wants me to.)

richard
--
richard welty               welty@algol.crd.ge.com
518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York