[sci.military] History of WWI

chod@security.mitre.org (David A. Chodorow) (05/03/89)

From: chod@security.mitre.org (David A. Chodorow)
Would someone suggest a book or books on the history of WWI?  In the
general interest book catalogues I look at there are always several
titles about the Civil War, WWII, or Vietnam, but I never see anything
about WWI.  I would prefer books in print, since I'm not the type to
root around in used military book stores.

Thank you for any suggestions.

		David Chodorow
		The MITRE Corporation
ARPA:		chod@mitre.org
UUCP:		{decvax,philabs,utzoo}!linus!mbunix!chod

zcnj01@uunet.UU.NET (Cecil N. Jones) (05/06/89)

From: apctrc!gpb6!zcnj01@uunet.UU.NET (Cecil N. Jones)

In article <6205@cbnews.ATT.COM> chod@security.mitre.org (David A. Chodorow) writes:

> Would someone suggest a book or books on the history of WWI?
> I would prefer books in print.
>
> Thank you for any suggestions.
>
>		David Chodorow

The Guns of August, by Barbara Tuchman is a good one.
(It might be the Guns of Autumn).

  Cecil N. Jones    Amoco Production Co.  Tulsa, OK
  @apctrc.uucp
  The opinions expressed are solely my own.

silber@p.cs.uiuc.edu (05/06/89)

From: silber@p.cs.uiuc.edu

The best general, overall book I have found is by Sir Basil Liddell-Hart.
The title is something like "The Great War", and he goes into great detail
about some of the command decisions.  There is a heavy emphisis upon the
British, and the naval and air wars are not covered nearly as thoroughly as
the land, but, overall, a good book (albeit a little dry).

MJackson.Wbst@Xerox.COM (05/09/89)

From: MJackson.Wbst@Xerox.COM
For a thorough one-volume treatment I don't see how you could do better
than Liddell-Hart's /The Real War 1914-1918/.  Might be hard to find - it
was published in 1930; I have an Atlantic-Little, Brown paperback edition
from 1964.

I would certainly not call it "dry" by military history standards.

Mark

mcdaniel@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (Tim McDaniel) (05/10/89)

From: mcdaniel@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (Tim McDaniel)

In article <6385@cbnews.ATT.COM> MJackson.Wbst@Xerox.COM writes:
>From: MJackson.Wbst@Xerox.COM
>For a thorough one-volume treatment I don't see how you could do better
>than Liddell-Hart's /The Real War 1914-1918/.  Might be hard to find - it
>was published in 1930; I have an Atlantic-Little, Brown paperback edition
>from 1964.
>Mark

I have in my hands "A History of the World War: 1914-1918" by Liddell
Hart (Faber & Faber Ltd., London, 1938).  It is an expanded edition of
"The Real War" (1930), so this later edition should probably be
preferred.

I found it in the Univ. of Illinois Graduate and Undergraduate
Libraries.  On the other hand, our libraries (considered as a unit) is
the 5th largest in the world, I am told.

BTW: I fail to understand the point of calling Tuchman a "journalist".
Did she get her facts wrong?  Did she misinterpret them?  Did she miss
some points?  et cetera.  If it was just a criticism of style, I don't
think that a journalistic style is of lesser worth per se.

To comment on an earlier article: the computer bibliographic search
showed 38 items by Liddell-Hart (with some duplication).  No book
called "The Great War" appeared there.  Probably just a misremembering
of the title above.

--

             Tim, the Bizarre and Oddly-Dressed Enchanter

Center for      |||  Internet, BITNET:  mcdaniel@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
Supercomputing  |||  UUCP:     {uunet,convex,pur-ee}!uiucuxc!uicsrd!mcdaniel
Research and    |||  ARPANET:  mcdaniel%uicsrd@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
Development,    |||  CSNET:    mcdaniel%uicsrd@uiuc.csnet
U of Illinois   |||  DECnet:   GARCON::"mcdaniel@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu"

prahrens@pttesac.UUCP (Peter Ahrens) (05/11/89)

From: prahrens@pttesac.UUCP (Peter Ahrens)

In article <6325@cbnews.ATT.COM> apctrc!gpb6!zcnj01@uunet.UU.NET (Cecil N. Jones) writes:

>From: apctrc!gpb6!zcnj01@uunet.UU.NET (Cecil N. Jones)
>
>In article <6205@cbnews.ATT.COM> chod@security.mitre.org (David A. Chodorow) writes:
>>
>> Would someone suggest a book or books on the history of WWI?
>> I would prefer books in print.
>
>The Guns of August, by Barbara Tuchman is a good one.

S.L.A. Marshall's history of the war, I believe titled _World War I_,
is very thorough, with good descriptions of the major battles of
all fronts written from the point of view of a military historian.
   It is pretty hefty and still in print.

-Peter Ahrens

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>For a thorough one-volume treatment I don't see how you could do better
>than Liddell-Hart's /The Real War 1914-1918/.  Might be hard to find - it
>was published in 1930...

Do remember, though, that any history published soon after a major war is
probably incomplete.  It will tell you what happened, but won't necessarily
tell you why, because important facts won't have been declassified.  The
obvious case in point is that cryptanalysis tends to stay secret for a long
time.  (And yes, it was significant in WWI, although not to quite the same
extent as in WWII.)

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

esco@tank.uchicago.edu (ross paul weiner) (05/11/89)

From: "ross paul weiner" <esco@tank.uchicago.edu>
In article <6326@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:
>From: silber@p.cs.uiuc.edu
>The best general, overall book I have found is by Sir Basil Liddell-Hart.
>The title is something like "The Great War", and he goes into great detail
>about some of the command decisions.  There is a heavy emphisis upon the
>British, and the naval and air wars are not covered nearly as thoroughly as
>the land, but, overall, a good book (albeit a little dry).

Liddell-Hart is an uncertain source, frequently self serving.  See John
Mearshiemer's book "Liddell-Hart and the Weight of History".  I did the

	Ross P. Weiner		Dandy Dirks Discount Disclaimers
	esco@tank.uchicago.edu	 "You can't sue me, I'm broke!"

[mod.note:  I think we've sufficiently libelled both Liddell-Hart and
Zuchman now  8-)   Suffice that both authors should probably be taken,
as any other, with a grain of salt.  As a rule, I'd suggest that it's
never a good idea to take as factual any single source, without
corroboration.

BTW, perhaps someone can tell me:  how is "Liddell" pronounced ?  Is it:

a) Lid'-ul  (as in "little")
b) Lid-ell'
and is the "i" long, short, or schwa ?

- Bill ]

duncan@rti.rti.org (Stephen Duncan) (05/12/89)

From: Stephen Duncan <duncan@rti.rti.org>
In article <6464@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:

>BTW, perhaps someone can tell me:  how is "Liddell" pronounced ?  Is it:
>
>a) Lid'-ul  (as in "little")
>b) Lid-ell'
>and is the "i" long, short, or schwa ?
>
>- Bill ]

I believe it's pronounced to rhyme with "fiddle", and that he's a relative
of one Alice Liddell, made famous by Lewis Carroll.  But I could be wrong.

Steve Duncan
duncan@rti.rti.org