[sci.military] budgets

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (05/12/89)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU

While I was looking at the summary of weapons program budget items in
the Navy, some questions come to mind.

If I understand this correctly, there is a budget request followed by
an authorization. Then some amount is actually bought or delivered.
1. Are the items basically specified in dollar amounts or in number of
   items to be purchased?
2. When the amount bought/delivered does not match the authorization,
   what happens?
3. What happens to left over money?
4. What happens if things go a little bit over?
5. How easily can money be moved around between these accounts?
6. On a few items, it looks like the Navy recieved more than it
   requested. How can this happen?

On the Tomahawk line, there were different variants listed:
	TASM	(Tomahawk anti-ship missile)
        TLAM-N	(Tomahawk land attack missile, nuclear)
	TLAM-C	(Tomahawk land attack missile, conventional)
	TLAM-D  (Tomahawk land attack missile, ?)

Does anyone know what is the "D" version of the TLAM?

Ted Kim                           ARPAnet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:    ...!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                PHONE:   (213) 206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             ESPnet:  tek@ouija.board

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (05/13/89)

From: smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin)

In article <6506@cbnews.ATT.COM>, tek@CS.UCLA.EDU writes:

> From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU
>
> While I was looking at the summary of weapons program budget items in
> the Navy, some questions come to mind.
>
> If I understand this correctly, there is a budget request followed by
> an authorization. Then some amount is actually bought or delivered.
> 1. Are the items basically specified in dollar amounts or in number of
>    items to be purchased?
> 2. When the amount bought/delivered does not match the authorization,
>    what happens?
> 3. What happens to left over money?
> 4. What happens if things go a little bit over?
> 5. How easily can money be moved around between these accounts?
> 6. On a few items, it looks like the Navy recieved more than it
>    requested. How can this happen?

Ted Kim asks a number of questions about the budget and appropriations
process.  It's complex, and more than a bit political, but I'll do my
best.

First, there are three stages.  There's a request -- a wish list, actually --
that finally gets submitted to Congress after much negotiation within
the executive branch.  Congress then passes an authorization bill granting
permission to do things, but *not* providing any money.  It's only later
that a separate appropriations bill is passed; the amounts here are often
much less than was authorized.  "Can I buy a toy?"  "Certainly."  "Can I
have some money for the toy?"  "No, of course not."

Congress appropriates money for specific categories, but there's a cap
on the total amount of money; you're not allowed to spend more than
that because legally, you don't have that money.  If there's a cost
overrun, you have to find the extra money in some other pocket (assuming
that the budget law permits), or you have to ask Congress for some more.
Unexpended money generally reverts, within limits; in fact, the
Constitution prohibits military appropriations from spanning more than
two years (Article I, Section 8).

Just how easily money can be moved around depends on the exact law; some
funds are tightly earmarked, others are more flexible.  In general, though,
moving stuff around too much is a Bad Idea because the Congresscritters
get upset.  And that's especially true if you try to find more money than
they gave you after they explicitly rejected your earlier request.

How the services can get more than they asked for is purely political.
Often, the extra money will be spent in the district of a powerful senator
or representative.  A military need is therefore found.  Just the other
day, in a N.Y. Times article on cutbacks in F-14 procurement, someone
remarked that Grumman had major subcontractors in 48 states.  Of course,
the politics can work both ways; the services have been known to tailor
their own requests to make powerful politicians happy.  Witness the
debate a few years ago on Air Force jet trainers -- Kansas (Sen. Dole)
had more clout than New York (Sen. D'Amato), so Cessna (I think) got the
contract, and Fairchild got the axe.