[sci.military] WWI History

budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg) (05/08/89)

From: budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg)
-------
Don't confuse history with journalism.  Liddel-Hart writes
history; Barbara Tuchman writes journalism.

Rex Buddenberg

-------

lance@kodak.com (Dan Lance) (05/11/89)

From: lance@kodak.com (Dan Lance)

In article <6345@cbnews.ATT.COM> budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg) writes:

>From: budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg)
>-------
>Don't confuse history with journalism.  Liddel-Hart writes
>history; Barbara Tuchman writes journalism.
>Rex Buddenberg
>-------

Au contraire.  Barbara Tuchman is most definitely a historian, and
most of her books (_A Distant Mirror_, _The Guns of August_, _The
Zimmermann Telegram_, _Stilwell and the American Experience In China_,
_Bible and Sword_, and _The Proud Tower_, to name a few) are historical
works.  She's also written a book about the study of history and a book
entitled "The March of Folly" which are harder to classify.

Why do you classify Tuchman with the journalists?  She's trained as a
historian and she writes about historical subjects.  Her work may not
be as dry or as rigorous as some academic works, but that certainly
doesn't justify lumping her in with the hacks.

None of this, of course, should be interpreted as maligning Liddell-Hart.
I'll recommend _The Great War_ to any student of WWI.

--drl
Daniel R. Lance / drl@kodak.com / Federal Systems Division, Eastman Kodak

bob@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Boulanger) (05/13/89)

From: vrdxhq!verdix.com!bob@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Boulanger)

In article <6461@cbnews.ATT.COM> lance@kodak.com (Dan Lance) writes:

>From: lance@kodak.com (Dan Lance)
>
>In article <6345@cbnews.ATT.COM> budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg) writes:
>>From: budden@manta.nosc.mil (Rex A. Buddenberg)
>>Don't confuse history with journalism.  Liddel-Hart writes
>>history; Barbara Tuchman writes journalism.
>
>Why do you classify Tuchman with the journalists?  She's trained as a
>historian and she writes about historical subjects.  Her work may not
>be as dry or as rigorous as some academic works, but that certainly
>doesn't justify lumping her in with the hacks.

Wait a minute! How did this discussion of WW1 histories suddenly turn into
a complete denigration of journalists!?  Most journalists are not hacks.
They are professional reporters trying to do their jobs to the best of
their abilities, just like Liddel-Hart or Patton, neither of whom were
historians or journalists, but managed to write credible discussions of the
World Wars.  Like professional soldiers (Liddell-Hart, Patton, and
Eisenhower) professional journalists must meet deadlines and work with the
"equipment" they are given.

So let's hop of the back of journalists and continue with the relevant
discussion.  And yes there are hack writers (of all kinds) just as there
are hack soldiers and hack historians and hack politicians.

Bob Boulanger

[mod.note.  For the love of Pete... Danged if I ever thought anyone in
this group would start arguing about book reports !

Bob has a valid point; referring to all journalists as "hacks" was probably
a cheap shot (despite my personal agreement 8-) and didn't deserve to
go unchallenged.  It's now been answered, and I'll be very circumspect
of any further submissions re: the merits of authors.  Let's keep it
polite and *factual*.  Remember that everyone has a preference of writing
styles, and that often depends on what they want from the book.  - Bill ]