[sci.military] Reply re air masks

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (05/16/89)

From: Ron Miller <hp-lsd!hplabs!hpfcla!hpfcmgw!ron>

 My question is
> why not have oxygen masks on the wall for everyone in the
> turret?  It seems to me a supply lasting only a few minutes is
> needed.  (Just long enough for air from that outside to resupply the
> oxygen.)
>
> Perhaps these are already there and the concussion from the
> expolsion kept the men from putting the masks on.  Does anyone
> know?  Could this simple addition reduce the deaths the next
> time this happens or increase the hazard?
> --
> Roger L. Ferrel (402) 498-6618
>
> [mod.note.  Beats me.  Sounds like a pretty good idea, to me,
> though I'd want to use compressed air rather than oxygen.  - Bill ]

Submarines have full-face mask devices with pressure regulators that
connect via quick-disconnect fittings to a 100# air manifold. They are
called EABs (Emergency Air Breathing Apparatus).

They are a real nuisance to use. Chances are that if there is some form
of explosion or fire in a turret there is likely to be concussion, blast,
and flame. It takes a great deal of coordination and training to don
and connect an EAB properly. Even under training situations it can be
done wrong. Add concussion and shock and disorientation and dark, installing
the EAB may be a waste of money. The next countermeasure might be to have the
crew *wearing* the EABs while handling ammo but that would probably be
considered cruel and unusual punishment.

Other things to consider: How do you get compressed air into a moving turret?

[mod.note:  Compressed air is already supplied to the turret; it's used to
clear the gun bores between shots.  - Bill ]

                          Where do you keep the EABs?
                          How do you talk? (You don't. You scream until your
                             voice gives out. )

I think the overall answer is probably first, that nobody thought of it.
And second, that if they did think of it, the decided that it wasn't worth
the trouble.

That'm my opinion anyway.

Ron Miller (EAB wearer of experience, including with glasses!)