[sci.military] Has an U.S. F-15 scored a kill?

bash@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Basham) (05/12/89)

From: bash@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Basham)

In the Portland House book by Michael J. Gething there is a picture of
an eagle with a blue kill symbol under the canopy.  The picture isn't
the clearest, but the symbol looks like a swing-wing aircraft, and kind
of resembles an F-14.  The letters on the tail are "CR", but due to the
angle of the picture, no other ID marks are visible.

The book shows another eagle with the same letters and states that this
aircraft is part of the 32nd TFS stationed in Holland.  It does not
discuss the kill symbol.

Can anybody fill me in?  (Please, no "I could tell you, but then I'd
have to kill you." remarks.)

Thanks,

Tom Basham
bash@ihlpb.ATT.COM

If you can't beat 'em, infiltrate and destroy them from within.

fjs@floyd.ATT.COM (05/13/89)

From: fjs@floyd.ATT.COM

In article <6507@cbnews.ATT.COM>, bash@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Basham) writes:

>In the Portland House book by Michael J. Gething there is a picture of
>an eagle with a blue kill symbol under the canopy.  The picture isn't
>the clearest, but the symbol looks like a swing-wing aircraft, and kind
>of resembles an F-14.  The letters on the tail are "CR", but due to the
>angle of the picture, no other ID marks are visible.
>
> Can anybody fill me in?  (Please, no "I could tell you, but then I'd
> have to kill you." remarks.)

In "The Great Book of Modern Warplanes", Portland House (various authors),
Mike Gething supplies the info on the F-15 Eagle.  Page 74 (and others)
shows what I believe what you are looking at.  It seems to me that this
is only an insignia for the Eagle (as is the tomcat for the F-14, bless
them!!) and not a kill symbol.  Gething writes that the only recorded kills
made by an F-15 were made by the Isrealis against the Syrians at various
times:

June, 1979           8 MiG-21 Fishbeds downed
                     6 by F-15's
                     2 by Kfirs

September, 1979      4 MiG-21 Fishbeds downed

"more recently"      1 MiG-23 Flogger
 date unknown

Fred J. Shubert         | "You haven't lived until you've seen a 'cat fly!!!"
AT&T Bell Labs          |-----------------------------------------------------
Whippany, N.J.          | DISCLAIMER:  All views are that of my own. PERIOD.
Ma-Bell 201-386-3094    |

                \      _      /
                 \   /^ ^\   /                         F-14D
      ____________\_(  .  )_/____________          SUPERTOMCATS
           ------|_| (___) |_|------                   RULE
                  O   * *   O                       (I Love 'Em)

sampson@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Steve Sampson) (05/16/89)

From: sampson@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Steve Sampson)

In article <6545@cbnews.ATT.COM>, fjs@floyd.ATT.COM writes:
> In "The Great Book of Modern Warplanes", Portland House (various authors),
> Mike Gething supplies the info on the F-15 Eagle.  Page 74 (and others)
> shows what I believe what you are looking at...
>
> Gething writes that the only recorded kills
> made by an F-15 were made by the Isrealis against the Syrians at various
> times:
There was also one Iranian F-4 (possibly 2 but second was an unconfirmed)
shot down by a Saudi F-15.  The F-4's had crossed the "line" and continued
toward the oilfields before being killed.