[sci.military] Iowa Manueverability

jrll@Portia.stanford.edu (john ralls) (05/08/89)

From: john ralls <jrll@Portia.stanford.edu>
Jeff Medcalf <jkmedcal%uokmax@uokmax.uucp> writes:
>[stuff deleted]
>counterclockwise.  On most 2-screw ships, this cannot be done because both
>shafts are linked to the same powerplant or gearbox.

This would be difficult at best, and would eliminate some of the
reasons for having multiple shafts.  The separation required between
shafts to prevent the propellors from hitting and the large size of
the bull gear (the one that the shaft is attached to)  mean that it
would require rather complex gearing to carry the energy from one
engine (or turbine) to two shafts.  The main reasons for having
multiple shafts are: 1) more power - and you'd have less if you drove
two shafts off one engine; 2)redundancy - shafts seldom fail, engines
often do. 3)maneuverability - the ability to twist the ship, by going
ahead on one side and back on the other, is extremely useful in close
quarters maneuvering (eg, alongside the pier).
I doubt any surface ships have been built with multiple shafts on a
single engine or gear set. (I know of one submarine -- but the details
are classified, so I won't discuss that here).
John

royf@roxanne.StPaul.GOV (Roy Forsstrom) (05/10/89)

From: royf@roxanne.StPaul.GOV (Roy Forsstrom)

1
>multiple shafts are: 1) more power - and you'd have less if you drove
>two shafts off one engine; 2)redundancy - shafts seldom fail, engines

Each shaft/propellor combination is rated at a certain horsepower. Two
shafts with two engines can give you more power with less draft than
with one large prop. Nuclear-powered ships, at 10,000 tons, draw over
30 feet as it is.

Roy Forsstrom                           uucp: pwcs!royf
Public Works Computer Services      internet: royf@pwcs.StPaul.GOV
25 W. 4th Street                        rboc: 612-298-5569
St. Paul, MN 56102

greg%ncelvax.UUCP@nosc.mil (Greg Ramsey) (05/16/89)

From: greg%ncelvax.UUCP@nosc.mil (Greg Ramsey)

In article <6348@cbnews.ATT.COM>, jrll@Portia.stanford.edu (john ralls) writes:
> I doubt any surface ships have been built with multiple shafts on a
> single engine or gear set.

I can think of at least one class of US Navy ships that had
one engine driving both ships, at least part of the time.

PG's (Asheville class I think) had two diesels driving two
shafts for slow speed crusing, and one Gas turbine which drove
both shafts through a huge gearbox.  The propellers were
controllable pitch though, so it could still vary (or reverse)
the thrust of the screws independently.

Greg

--
                    ___                  Greg Ramsey