[sci.military] Short range missiles in Europe

gswan@watpix.waterloo.edu (Geo Swan) (05/16/89)

From: gswan@watpix.waterloo.edu (Geo Swan)

I heard an interview with Gwynne Dwyer on the radio the other day.
He spoke about the recent controversy over short range missiles
in Europe.

He said that the reason there was controversy was that the
_intermediate_ range missiles that the US agreed to remove had
a range of 450 miles, and the new _short_ range ones have a range of
400 miles.

He said the new short range missiles were upgrades to replace whatever
short range missiles the US had there previously.

Can anyone confirm or deny these numbers?

esco@tank.uchicago.edu (ross paul weiner) (05/18/89)

From: "ross paul weiner" <esco@tank.uchicago.edu>
In article <6599@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:
>From: gswan@watpix.waterloo.edu (Geo Swan)
>I heard an interview with Gwynne Dwyer on the radio the other day.
>He spoke about the recent controversy over short range missiles
>in Europe.
>
>He said that the reason there was controversy was that the
>_intermediate_ range missiles that the US agreed to remove had
>a range of 450 miles, and the new _short_ range ones have a range of
>400 miles.
>
>He said the new short range missiles were upgrades to replace whatever
>short range missiles the US had there previously.
>
>Can anyone confirm or deny these numbers?

DENIED, negatory no way jose, it's the BIG LIE.

The INF treaty banned all ground launched weapons over 300 nm (nautical miles)
in range but not of ICBM range.  The U.S. Pershing IIs could almost reach
Moscow from West Germany, that's what got the Russians to the negotiating table
quick.  The Ground Launch Cruise Missiles were even longer range.  The short
range missiles in Europe now for NATO are 88 Lance missiles with a range of
about 66 miles.  The plan is to replace them with weapons that would still have
a range of less than the 300 nm limit set by the INF treaty.  That way in the
event of war the weapons would not have to impact on West German soil.  It says
something about the effectiveness of modern propaganda, a technological tool as
much as anything discussed in this newsgroup (PSYOPS), that millions of Germans
are demonstrating against an effort to replace very short range, old and rather
more dangerous weapons with something better.
--

	Ross P. Weiner		Dandy Dirks Discount Disclaimers
	esco@tank.uchicago.edu	 "You can't sue me, I'm broke!"

frankt@uva.UUCP (Frank Tuijnman) (05/20/89)

From: frankt@uva.UUCP (Frank Tuijnman)
In article <6679@cbnews.ATT.COM> esco@tank.uchicago.edu
(ross paul weiner) writes:
> .....  The short
>range missiles in Europe now for NATO are 88 Lance missiles with a range of
					   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>about 66 miles.  The plan is to replace them with weapons that would still have
>a range of less than the 300 nm limit set by the INF treaty.  That way in the
>event of war the weapons would not have to impact on West German soil.  It says
>something about the effectiveness of modern propaganda, a technological tool as
>much as anything discussed in this newsgroup (PSYOPS), that millions of Germans
>are demonstrating against an effort to replace very short range, old and rather
>more dangerous weapons with something better.
>--
>
>	Ross P. Weiner		Dandy Dirks Discount Disclaimers
>	esco@tank.uchicago.edu	 "You can't sue me, I'm broke!"

It also says something about the effectiveness of modern propaganda that
you believe that there are only 88 Lance missiles.
There about 700 Lance missiles (the 88 applies to the number of Lance
missile launchers).
Furthermore, the people in West Germany are not only concerned about
West German territory, but also about East German and Polish territory.
What they are protesting against is the idea to turn all of that in a
nuclear wasteland with those new `modern' missiles.
The last issue of the New York Review of Books (May 18) contains an
article on this subject, which is well worth reading.
The main point of the article is that the argument really
is over the trategy developed by General Rogers (former supreme allied
commander) to strike deep in Warsaw pact territory with tactical nuclear
weapons, and that the Lance missile has become the symbol of that argument.
To strike deep in Warsaw pact territory the intermediate range
missiles were needed, which is why Rogers opposed the INF treaty.
The new short range missiles with a range just under the INF limit are
much more a compensation for the removed intermediate range missiles then a
modernization of the short range missiles. This is why the Soviets think of
this `modernization' as violating the spirit of the INF treaty.
The West German Government believes that that such a compensation
is unnecessary now that Gorbachev is willing to accept a balance
in conventional forces.

			Frank Tuijnman (frankt@uva)
			Univesity of Amsterdam

[ mod.note: Let's try not to let the politics overwhelm this issue,
folks.  There's a lot of appropriate material here, but I can see the
potential for flamage.  - Bill ]

gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory M. Paris) (05/20/89)

From: gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory M. Paris)
In <6679@cbnews.ATT.COM> esco@tank.uchicago.edu (ross paul weiner) writes:
>range missiles in Europe now for NATO are 88 Lance missiles with a range of
>about 66 miles.  The plan is to replace them with weapons that would still have
>a range of less than the 300 nm limit set by the INF treaty.  That way in the
>event of war the weapons would not have to impact on West German soil.  It says
>something about the effectiveness of modern propaganda, a technological tool as
>much as anything discussed in this newsgroup (PSYOPS), that millions of Germans
>are demonstrating against an effort to replace very short range, old and rather
>more dangerous weapons with something better.

Because a missile has a range of 300 miles does not mean that it will be
targeted at something 300 miles away.  I feel sort of silly saying that!

Presumably the missiles would be aimed at invading Warsaw Pact forces that
in all likelihood would be on West German soil.  Still, even if NATO were
to spare both Germanies (I believe that many West Germans consider both
the FRG and GDR to be Germany), why would the Warsaw Pact?  Once nukes
are launched, I'd say that all bets are off and Germany is probably going
to get hit hard.

But then, am I just a victim of propaganda?

--
Greg Paris <gmp@rayssd.ray.com>
{decuac,necntc,spdcc,sun,uiucdcs,ukma}!rayssd!gmp