[sci.military] US Advanced Tactical Program...

eclam@maytag.waterloo.edu (Edmund C. Lam) (05/13/89)

From: "Edmund C. Lam" <eclam@maytag.waterloo.edu>
I recently came across a reference concerning a replacement for the
Navy Grummun A-6E called the ATA.  This reference suggested that A-6F has
been cancelled in favour the the ATA (A-12) which will be used by Navy,
Marines (replacement for F-4 and A-4) and Air Force (replacement for A-10).

Can anyone shead any light on this "rumour".  Who makes this "A-12" and
what are its capabilities?  Does anyone have information about the
ATB(B-1B replacment) and ATF(F-14/F-15/F-16 replacement)?

fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (05/16/89)

From: fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <6543@cbnews.ATT.COM>, eclam@maytag.waterloo.edu (Edmund C. Lam) writes:

> From: "Edmund C. Lam" <eclam@maytag.waterloo.edu>
> I recently came across a reference concerning a replacement for the
> Navy Grummun A-6E called the ATA.  This reference suggested that A-6F has
> been cancelled in favour the the ATA (A-12) which will be used by Navy,
> Marines (replacement for F-4 and A-4) and Air Force (replacement for A-10).
>
> Can anyone shead any light on this "rumour".  Who makes this "A-12" and
> what are its capabilities?  Does anyone have information about the
> ATB(B-1B replacment) and ATF(F-14/F-15/F-16 replacement)?

Lockheed made the A-12 "Blackbird" during the early sixties.

(Images of pilot having *very* little time to acquire targets on
the ground during an attack run.... :} )

What do you bet they change the designation?  (Maybe not, though,
the "A-12" designation was originally a CIA label.)

mayse@p.cs.uiuc.edu (05/20/89)

From: mayse@p.cs.uiuc.edu

I think it's more complicated than that.  What is now known as the "Blackbird"
was first called the A-11.  An evolutionary version, intended as a long-range
interceptor, was called the YF-12A.  Finally, the recon version (SR-71)
emerged; it differs from the interceptor primarily in having recon gear and
pods instead of the interceptor's missile bays, and a forward wing "chine"
which is smooth all the way to the nose (the interceptor had a pair of forward-
looking sensors which caused the forward part of the delta to be truncated
somewhat).

I would guess that the A-12 is the designation tentatively in use for a new
attack plane, and is not related to the Blackbird.

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (ATW)) (05/23/89)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (ATW))

I think the A-12 being referred to here is the so called "Advanced
Tactical Aircraft". According to official USN statements, it is the
A-6 replacement and hence a heavy carrier attack plane. It will be
built by McDonnell Douglas and General Dynamics. It will use a
derivative of the General Electric F404 engine.

According to USNI Proceedings, unofficial sources claim the the
following: The engine designation is F404-F5D2. Development aircraft
are under construction. Production will commence in 1990. Its avionics
package may not be ready in time. So the first few planes might use
the avionics package from the cancelled A-6F. The plane might use the
Advanced Interdiction Weapon System now under development.

Ted Kim                           ARPAnet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
UCLA Computer Science Department  UUCP:    ...!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!tek
3804C Boelter Hall                PHONE:   (213) 206-8696
Los Angeles, CA 90024             ESPnet:  tek@ouija.board