[sci.military] Request info on force ratios in European theater

rshu@ads.com (Richard Shu) (05/16/89)

From: Richard Shu <rshu@ads.com>

I need info on the Warsaw Pact/NATO force ratios for tanks and
artillery.  Since the numbers will vary depending on what you're
counting and how you count, please give more than just a number (e.g.,
3.14:1).  Specify what you're counting (e.g., Field Artillery but not
MLRS) and how you're counting (e.g., number of tubes unadjusted for
caliber or rate of fire).  Also, please give the date your numbers
were valid and attribute the source.

Thanx.

Rich

cdr@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Carl Rigney) (05/19/89)

From: amdcad!cdr@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Carl Rigney)
In article <6587@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:
>From: Richard Shu <rshu@ads.com>
>
>I need info on the Warsaw Pact/NATO force ratios for tanks and
>artillery.

Run out and buy James Dunnigan's _How to Make War: A comprehensive
guide to modern warfare_.  Beancounting is of questionable usefulness;
it's not enought to just count tanks, you also have to determine their
quality WITH RESPECT TO their environment, doctrine, and opponent's
doctrine.  William Morrow just published a completely revised edition
in 1988; ISBN is 0-688-07979-2 in softcover.  It's the best overall
book on factors in modern warfare I know of, but I'd be delighted to
hear other people's choices.

Andrew Cockburn's _The Threat_ is probably outdated, but is still worth
reading if you can find it.  Suvurov's books are a must for an inside
look at the Soviets; particularly _Inside the Red Army_, but it's a
qualitative analysis instead of quantitative.  He doesn't say how many
tanks the Russians have, but he does point out they called off an invasion
of Poland to crush Solidarity in the early 80s when the mobilization
utterly SNAFUed.  In _The Liberators_ he discusses the more successful
invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968, which he took part in.

	--Carl Rigney
	cdr@amdcad.AMD.COM
	{ames decwrl gatech pyramid sun uunet}!amdcad!cdr

dee@linus.MITRE.ORG (David E. Emery) (05/20/89)

From: dee@linus.MITRE.ORG (David E. Emery)
This is a real bag of worms!  For instance, do you count the
following: (Artillery, because that's what I know best)
	NATO:	U.S. III Corps and other POMCUS Active Army units
		Reserve and National Guard Artillery Brigades
		Reserve and National Guard Divisions
		German Territorial Units (They DO have some artillery)
	WP:	East German, Polish, Czech, etc
		Soviet Units not in GSFG, but potentially depolyable
		   in the same amount of time as U.S. reinforcements

Next, you need to come up with some way of comparing apples to
oranges.  For instance, how do you count 1 MLRS launcher?  In 'single
volley' firepower, it equates to about a battalion (rough guess, not
GMET figures) of 155 Howitzers.  However, we can fire 155's all day
long compared to MLRS.

Finally, the limiting factor for Artillery is not tubes, but bullets.
I strongly believe that we'll run out of bullets by Day 23 if we shoot
everything we see.  Ammo reinforcement is THE key issue in artillery
deployment in a High-Intensity conflict.

			dave
			emery@mitre.org

marsh@linus.UUCP (Ralph Marshall (617 271-7648)) (05/23/89)

From: marsh@linus.UUCP (Ralph Marshall (617 271-7648))
In article <6710@cbnews.ATT.COM> amdcad!cdr@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Carl Rigney) writes:

>Run out and buy James Dunnigan's _How to Make War: A comprehensive
>guide to modern warfare_.  Beancounting is of questionable usefulness;
>it's not enought to just count tanks, you also have to determine their
>quality WITH RESPECT TO their environment, doctrine, and opponent's
>doctrine.  William Morrow just published a completely revised edition
>in 1988; ISBN is 0-688-07979-2 in softcover.  It's the best overall
>book on factors in modern warfare I know of, but I'd be delighted to
>hear other people's choices.

	I have to disagree with you.  I read Dunnigan's book, and I
didn't think it was all that hot.  He had a number of typos and printing
errors that made me a little suspicious about the quality of the charts
full of numbers.  I liked some of his comments, especially the one which
states something like "The abilities that make for a good combat commander
usually make for a bad peacetime officer; hence, after a long period of
peace most units will be commanded by people who are excellent politicians
but terrible commanders."

	The basic problem with writing a book about contemporary
force structures is the same one that plagues the Pentagon: we haven't
sent 10's of divisions to Germany in a few weeks to stop a mobile army
backed up by tactical nukes and gas, so we have NO IDEA what it will
really be like.  We obviously have to make some guess, since the only other
choice is to plan to "improvise", which probably won't work this time
around.

	What I think we need to see is more realistic training and testing
units and equipment.  Modern tanks are too expensive to practice blowing
them up with the latest anti-tank weapon, so we simulate it instead.  This
is all well and good, but too much simulation and your results no longer
match what will happen when the line of sight is much shorter/longer than
on your proving ground, when the thing gets mud/dust/water in it, and when
some grunt humping it around on his back drops it every once in a while.
If we were willing to spend more money testing and perfecting systems under
realistic situations they'd probably work more like we intended.  Since w
don't, it is very hard for either the military brass or an outside author
like Dunnigan to make accurate predictions about what will happen in
a large scale war.

Ralph Marshall (marsh@mbunix.mitre.org)

Disclaimer:  Often wrong but never in doubt...  All of these opinions
are mine, so don't gripe to my employer if you don't like them.