[sci.military] Northrop F-20...

eclam@maytag.waterloo.edu (Edmund C. Lam) (05/13/89)

From: "Edmund C. Lam" <eclam@maytag.waterloo.edu>
I have always wanted to know the reasons why the U.S. arms procurment
passed over the F-20?  From what I know of it, it seems to be a very
cost effective machine.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>I have always wanted to know the reasons why the U.S. arms procurment
>passed over the F-20?  From what I know of it, it seems to be a very
>cost effective machine.

I read it as having been a combination of things.  The US historically
did not buy the F-5 series for its own use, and the F-20 started out as
the F-5G.  It had a slightly involved development history, notably a
late decision that it needed a bigger wing (which it did).  And there
were competitors, notably the F-16, that were already well entrenched
in strong positions within the USAF.  It came close once or twice.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

gt0818a%prism@gatech.edu (Paul E. Robichaux) (05/15/89)

From: gt0818a%prism@gatech.edu (Paul E. Robichaux)
The F-20 died as a result of USAF disinterest. Their original plan was to buy
all F-16s for the air superiority mission, but Northrop made some exceptionally
attractive price concessions (including, I think, a fixed-price spare parts
contract) which drew Congressional attention. Congress mandated an F-16/F-20
flyoff, which (since it was conducted by the program board that wanted F-16s
in the first place) the F-20 lost.

Seeing the refusal of DoD to buy the F-20, foreign governments stayed away from
it like it was another C-5A. I am not aware of any in service with foreign
nations at this time. From what I understand, it is a very capable, easy-to-
maintain aircraft (as is the F-16). Northrop was hailed for taking initiative
and spending their own R&D money to develop it, and then took a bath when no
one wanted it.

I'd buy one.

--
Paul E. Robichaux, Undergrad Peon  |       Internet: gt0818a@prism.gatech.edu
Georgia Institute of Technology    |       BITNET:   gt0818a@GITNVE2

nak@cbnews.ATT.COM (Neil A. Kirby) (05/16/89)

From: nak@cbnews.ATT.COM (Neil A. Kirby)
In article <6547@cbnews.ATT.COM> eclam@maytag.waterloo.edu (Edmund C. Lam) writes:

>From: "Edmund C. Lam" <eclam@maytag.waterloo.edu>
>I have always wanted to know the reasons why the U.S. arms procurment
>passed over the F-20?  From what I know of it, it seems to be a very
>cost effective machine.

	To effectively describe why it was passed over requires a
    description of how the US military buys planes.  Normally, the way it's
    done is for the defense contractor to ask the Government for
    development money to build the prototypes of the planes.  The
    military gets to specify what they want the plane to do, and they
    oversee the prototypes so that they can evaluate them.  From there, if
    the military likes the prototypes, they put out a production contract.

    The virtue of this system is that private enterprise doesn't get hurt
    if the fickle government decides not to buy.

    This has some interesting effects.  The offices that develop the
    prototypes become the contractors' friends in the military.  Folks in
    Systems Command of USAF (the folks who buy planes) like to keep their
    job.  So the progarm office for the prototype will almost always be
    very favorable towards a production contract - they get to keep their
    jobs.  It beats a transfer elsewhere or possible unemployment.

    So how does that make a difference to F-20?

    Then President Carter, not noted as the biggest friend to the military
    to ever hold that office, wanted the USAF to get a cheap fighter.  THe
    idea was that the contractors would pay for prototypes, and the USAF
    would pick the one they liked.  This would foster competition and cost
    sensitivity.  The contract would FIX the prices paid, and would include
    maintenance and spares and warrantees.  USAF would get pick of the
    litter and not have to pay for the runts.

    Only [insert the name of the company that built the F-20 here, I knew
    it a paragraph ago] bit.  They came out with the F-20.

    Wht happened?  The F-20 had no friends, since it had no program office,
    and no history of spending money.  No one in the military HAD to have
    it.  The F-20 had 90-95% of the flight capabilities of the F-16 at
    about half the per plane cost, and it included spares.  So the military
    said, "Why should I buy another plane that does less, when I'm already
    paying for these two fine planes (F15 & F16)?"  So they rejected the
    plane on performance.

    They said "Make this our export fighter."  But even though it made good
    sense, it would be a smack to the other nation's national pride to take
    a 'second best' fighter that 'was less taxing to maintain and service'.
    After all, it would imply that the other nation didn't have what it
    took to keep a really neato front-line fighter in the air.  So it
    didn't sell.

>	[ a few articles later somebody talks about maint costs of F16 and
>	F20.]

    The costs are widely different.  The F15 and 16 are both very expensive
    to work on and to keep in the air.  The F20, at least under the
    proposed contracts, would have been much cheaper to keep flying.  One
    of the design criteria was to keep it cheap to fly.  This is probably
    why it lacks some of the capabilities of the F16.

    I'm surprised that it didn't destroy F5 sales, myself.  It had great
    price/performance.  If I were running a third world nation, I'd have
    bought lots of them.   Train your pilots well, and if you lose a few
    planes in training, the planes were cheap.  In war, you would have near
    parity in per-plane capability, and more planes.

    Neil Kirby
    ...cbsck!nak

tshaffer@ads.com (Tom Shaffer) (05/19/89)

From: tshaffer@ads.com (Tom Shaffer)

I worked on the F-20 in the Avionic Integration
Laboratory (1983 - 86).  It was an incredible plane.
The interesting part was that it was completely
funded by the Northrop Corp. (no gov't $$$s).  They spent
close to a billion dollars of their own money developing and
building it.  If my memory serves me right, the program was
started at the request of the gov't (then President Carter).  Its
primary/first customer was supposed to be Taiwan.  Due to a
new treaty with China, during the Reagan era, the U.S. promised
not to sell arms to Taiwan - the F-20's #1 customer just got axed.
The Air Force didn't want it because they had the F-16 and
General Dynamics was lobbying like crazy to keep the F-20
out of their market.  When it came to foreign sales, the US
had started exporting the F-15, and though the F-20 was a
great plane, who wants an F-20 when they can get a F-15?
For the countries that could not get the F-15, they were
skeptical about buying a plane that wasn't in the US inventory.
At the same time, General Dynamics slashed the price for the
F-16 by ~30%.  This caused a uproar in Congress about being
overcharged for all the planes aready purchased, but the
uproar died down and nothing came of it - GD later raised
the price back up.  During this period, the pressure was
very intense on the Air Force to buy the F-20.  They decided
to have a fly-off between the F-20 and the F-16 to settle
the matter once and for all.  The Air Force (i.e. General
Dynamics) was sure the F-16 was a better plane.  Well, the
Air Force conducted their fly-off, and guess what they did-
you guessed it, they decided to make the results classified!
I don't recall for sure, but I believe no official results were ever
released.  I think the failure to sell the F-20 was a very sad point in
the history of defense procurement.  No company in
history went so far out on a limb ($1 billion), investing
its own money to build a DOD product.  It would have been
nice to see a new trend start, where companies invested some of
their own money in starting up and developing products.
You can bet no company will ever make the same mistake Northrop made.
Lesson- only spend the gov'ts money, don't ever risk any of your
own.  On the positive side, I think the work done on the
F-20 put the company in a good position to win other
contracts.  I could go on for days about all the "crap" that
went down, but ...

As another interesting side issue, does anyone have the full
story on the demise of the flying wing (XB-35 or YB49) in
the 50s?  As I recall, it was another unfortunate altercation
between Northrop and General Dynamics where Northrop lost -
again.

				-- Tom Shaffer --

maniac%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George W. Herbert) (05/20/89)

From: maniac%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George W. Herbert)

In article <6593@cbnews.ATT.COM> nak@cbnews.ATT.COM (Neil A. Kirby) writes:
>    I'm surprised that it didn't destroy F5 sales, myself.  It had great
>    price/performance.  If I were running a third world nation, I'd have

_What F-5 sales?  The sales for the last few decades (1975 on?) have been all
retread airframes, not new.  It's been a long time since northrop build
a new tiger II.

ricko@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Rick O'Brien) (05/20/89)

From: ricko@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Rick O'Brien)

In article <6707@cbnews.ATT.COM> tshaffer@ads.com (Tom Shaffer) writes:

>From: tshaffer@ads.com (Tom Shaffer)
>
>[interesting stuff on F-20 deleted]  No company in
>history went so far out on a limb ($1 billion), investing
>its own money to build a DOD product.  It would have been
>nice to see a new trend start, where companies invested some of
>their own money in starting up and developing products.
>You can bet no company will ever make the same mistake Northrop made.
>Lesson- only spend the gov'ts money, don't ever risk any of your
>own.
>				-- Tom Shaffer --
Just about every Request For Quote I have seen in the last few years
asks for an "investment" on the part of the bidder.  My company is only
a subcontractor, not a prime, and we are still investing lots of bucks
on programs we may or may not get.  While we are not investing $1 billion
the amounts are still substantial for a company of our size.  Also, the
new and improved :-{ govm'nt regs make it increasingly difficult to
recover any "investment."  We still do defense work, so we must make
money on it, but it is not an easy way to make money.  ( At one time
our company decided to no-bid any more NASA contracts but eventually
reconsidered, whether for more money or the 'prestige' of the space
program I don't know.)

Rick O'Brien

dlj@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (david.l.jacobowitz) (05/24/89)

From: dlj@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (david.l.jacobowitz)

In article <6707@cbnews.ATT.COM>, tshaffer@ads.com (Tom Shaffer) writes:
> I worked on the F-20 in the Avionic Integration
> Laboratory (1983 - 86).  It was an incredible plane.
<text deleted>
> out of their market.  When it came to foreign sales, the US
> had started exporting the F-15, and though the F-20 was a
> great plane, who wants an F-20 when they can get a F-15?

While the F-15 is an impressive performer, it is also BIG and EXPENMSIVE.
It's wingspan is twice that of a Mig-21,
and it's *tailspan* is actually larger than the *wingspan* of an F-5.

While performance is important, in 4 out of 5 air-air
kills, the target never saw their attacker.
In only 1 out of 5 cases was the target downed in a "dogfight."
Hence if you think about it, the small size of the F-20 more
than makes up for any performance advantage of the F-15.

I read that some people at Topgun (Navy Fighter Weapons School)
wanted to buy the F-20 to simulate advanced Soviet dogfighters
like the Mig-29 and Su-27, but because of political
considerations they went for the F-16N instead.

Oh well, maybe the Israelis will decide to buy some F-20s...
Dave J.
usual disclaimer implied