[sci.military] airplane data

eric@ux.acss.umn.edu (Eric D. Hendrickson) (05/24/89)

From: "Eric D. Hendrickson" <eric@ux.acss.umn.edu>
Hello, I am interested in finding a book or books which would have detailed
Specification and performance data about air force and navy planes of the
past and present (near future would be nice too).  I would also be interested
in detailed history of these planes, and pictures.  Any recommendations
would be very helpful.
			Thanks!
				--Eric Hendrickson
			eric@ux.acss.umn.edu

fjs@floyd.ATT.COM (05/25/89)

From: fjs@floyd.ATT.COM

In article <6841@cbnews.ATT.COM>, eric@ux.acss.umn.edu (Eric D. Hendrickson) writes:

> From: "Eric D. Hendrickson" <eric@ux.acss.umn.edu>
> Hello, I am interested in finding a book or books which would have detailed
> Specification and performance data about air force and navy planes of the
> past and present (near future would be nice too).  I would also be interested
> in detailed history of these planes, and pictures.  Any recommendations
> would be very helpful.

I have found very informative reading on modern warplanes (a few past) from
the folowing sources:

1) TAB BOOKS, Inc.
   Blue Ridge Summit, PA.  17294-0850
   717-794-2191

   They have a large catalog on many topics, and a large aviation library.
   Call for catalog, they take phone orders.

2) The Great Book of Modern Warplanes, Portland House, NY
   (May not be sold outside of US and Canada)
   Can be found in any bookstore.
   Topics:  A-10 Thunderbolt II
            F-15 Eagle
            F-16 Fighting Falcon
            F/A-18 Hornet
            F-111
            Harrier
            MiGs
            B-1B
            F-4 Phantom II
            F-14 Tomcat

    GREAT BOOK!!!!! 800 full color photogs, 180+ B+ 648 pages, $50.00

3) OSPREY COMBAT AIRCRAFT SERIES, London
   Can be found in large, very detail oriented hobby stores (got mine in
   North Carolina).
   Covers 6 topics in 6 books (soft cover):
            F-15 Eagle
            F/A-18 Hornet
            MiG-23/27 Flogger
            American Spyplanes
            F-14 Tomcat
            AH-64 Apache

Enjoy!!!!

Fred J. Shubert         | "You haven't lived until you've seen a 'cat fly!!!"
AT&T Bell Labs          |-----------------------------------------------------
Whippany, N.J.          | DISCLAIMER:  All views are that of my own. PERIOD.
Ma-Bell 201-386-3094    |

                \      _      /
                 \   /^ ^\   /                         F-14D
      ____________\_(  .  )_/____________          SUPERTOMCATS
           --*/--|_| (___) |_|--\*--                   RULE
              *       O O       *                   (I Love 'Em)

See an F-14A+ strut its stuff this weekend, May 27, at NAS Patuxent River.

dlj@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (david.l.jacobowitz) (05/26/89)

From: dlj@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (david.l.jacobowitz)

> In article <6841@cbnews.ATT.COM>, eric@ux.acss.umn.edu (Eric D. Hendrickson) writes:
> >
> > From: "Eric D. Hendrickson" <eric@ux.acss.umn.edu>
> > Hello, I am interested in finding a book or books which would have detailed
> > Specification and performance data about air force and navy planes of the
> > past and present (near future also).

Someone suggested The Great Book of Modern Warplanes, Portland House, NY.
This is a great book actually.  There is a lot of detail here that
I didn't find anywhere else.   But it also weighs about 20 lbs.
So you can learn about aircraft and build up your arms at the
same time.

Also, try "Modern Air Combat," by Bill Gunston and somebody else.
This is an oversize book, with lots of words and pictures about
fighter related topics (such as heads-up displays, ECM, air combat
maneuvering, performance envelopes, etc.) as well as a one
page spread on about 40-50 different aircraft.
It includes Soviet aircraft (Migs, Yaks, and Sukhoi).
It does not describe the F-20.  Price is about $20.

The manual for the F-19 Stealth Fighter computer game contains a fair
amount of performance related information on selected fighter
aircraft, and it also contains a list of references for further reading.
The game costs ~$50.
And I also have a 2" x 3" book called "Modern Combat Aircraft,"
that is fun to look through (A "Concise Color Guide" book).
Dave J.
usual disclaimer implied