[sci.military] Do you already know this?

raymond@io.ame.arizona.edu (Raymond Man) (05/30/89)

From: raymond@io.ame.arizona.edu (Raymond Man)

>ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt)
><6938@cbnews.ATT.COM>
>.
>major mike
>                      "Up at 'em Maitland, Guards!"
>                                     - Wellington at Waterloo

	"What I must have said and possibly did say was '"Standup!
         Guard!"' and then I turned to the commander and gave the
         order to attack"
		      - Wellington in prviate communication after Waterloo

Just call me `Man'.
raymond@jupiter.ame.arizona.edu

[mod.note: The Iron Duke appears to have been a well-misquoted fellow...

	"Do not let my opponents castigate me with the blather that
	Waterloo was won on the playfields of Eton, for the fact remains
	geographically, historically, and tactically, whether the great
	Duke uttered such undiluted nonsense or not, that it was won on the
	fields in Belgium by carrying out a fundamental principle of war,
	the principle of mass; in other words by marching on to those
	fields three Englishmen, Germans, or Belgians to every
	two Frenchmen." -  J.F.C. Fuller, quoted by T.N. Dupuy in
	_Understanding War_

- Bill ]