[sci.military] Iowa Mission?

holly@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Joe Hollingsworth) (05/26/89)

From: Joe Hollingsworth <holly@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>

I tried submitting this a while back when the Iowa was more of a
hot (pardon the pun) topic, but it got lost in the mail.

Out of all the articles submitted to this newsgroup (that I read,
which is just a subset of all "Iowa articles"), only a few people
mentioned anything about its mission, and these were just in passing.

What are the primary and secondary missions of an Iowa class ship?

Thanks,
Joe
Joe Hollingsworth  Computer and Information Science @ OSU
holly@cis.ohio-state.edu  or ...!{att,pyramid,killer}!cis.ohio-state.edu!holly

welty@Lewis.crd.ge.com (Richard P. Welty) (05/31/89)

From: Richard P. Welty <welty@Lewis.crd.ge.com>

From: Joe Hollingsworth <holly@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>

>Out of all the articles submitted to this newsgroup (that I read,
>which is just a subset of all "Iowa articles"), only a few people
>mentioned anything about its mission, and these were just in passing.

>What are the primary and secondary missions of an Iowa class ship?

well, when they were designed, the primary mission was
surface gunfire actions against similarly equipped
enemy ships, and the (very) secondary mission was shore
bombardment.

in wwii, the missions varied ... they served as AA platforms
in carrier groups, the earlier fast battleships (Washington,
South Dakota, etc.) fought in surface night actions, and
occasional shore bombardment (the principal shore bombardment
vessels were the older wwi-vintage battleships, as their
ca. 21knot speed rendered them too slow to operate with
the fast carriers or against the somewhat faster wwi-vintage
japanese battleships and battlecruisers.)

in the korean and vietnamese wars, they served strictly
as shore bombardment vessels -- New Jersey's guns could
reach 80% of the combined land mass of North and South
Vietnam.

in the current reactivation, they primarily serve as
shore bombardment vessels, but also now carry Tomahawk
cruise missiles (they certainly carry the anti-ship version
of Tomahawk, and you'll never get a clear statement from
the Navy on whether or not they carry the nuclear version)
and Harpoon medium-range anti-ship missiles.

in their current form, the Iowas depend on other units
to provide AA defence, although they do retain 6 of their
5-inch dual mount dual purpose turrets, although i have
no idea of how effective these guns would be under current
conditions.  also, the Iowas do carry 4 Phalanx CIWS
mounts.

richard
--
richard welty         welty@lewis.crd.ge.com         welty@algol.crd.ge.com
           518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York