[sci.military] Laser training guns

lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) (05/24/89)

From: lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani)

This was copied from the April '89 issue of the Commmunications of
the ACM, pg 417.

A laser gun that can impart harmless "fatal" and superficial shots
has been developed at Sandia National Laboratories for use as a
training tool by the U.S. military.  A vest worn while using the
Tactical Engagement Simulation System (TESS) gun emits a series of
beeps if the laser beam hits a vital area and sporadic blips if it
grazes non-fatal spots.  Information officer Will Keener points out
that full-scale TESS production is about three years away and that
"only 20 prototypes have been manufactured so far."

Copyright (C) 1989 by the Association for Computing Machinery, Inc.

[The ACM specifically allows copying provided it isn't for direct
commercial advantage.]
--
Larry Cipriani, att!cbnews!lvc or lvc@cbnews.att.com

merkel@shuxd.att.com (Tom Merkel) (05/25/89)

From: merkel@shuxd.att.com (Tom Merkel)
This is all from memory, but here goes:

I first saw this technology years ( 10 or more ) ago in a
short film on the training of guards for nuclear materials
in transport.  These people trained with a small laser
( similar to a laser gunsight ) mounted on the rifle barrel.
The sensor was a detector on a chest belt.  While not as
sophisticated as the vest described,  it did allow for
realistic training.  If you were hit,  you were supposed to
fall down on the spot.  Both bad guys and good guys were
equipped the same.  I remember that the bad guys got to pick the
battle/ambush,  the good guys had to hold them off long enough
for reinforcements to arrive.
--
          Tom Merkel		|	merkel@shuxd.att.com
   Hard work never hurt anyone, |	att!shuxd!merkel

paulf@uunet.UU.NET (Paul D. Franzon) (05/26/89)

From: ece-csc!paulf@uunet.UU.NET (Paul D. Franzon)

For years the US Army has been using the MILES simulator system to simulate
hits and near misses in force on force training exercises.
I must admit I know
nothing about its technical details.  Every soldier and armoured vehicle
wears a brace of detectors.  Every rifle, MG and weapon system emits a beam
whenever a blank is fired (a blank is fired so that the weapon signature
is simulated -- this includes, tank, and missile signatures etc.)  Near misses
can be detected and hits either disble your weapon, cause a light/noise or
stop your vehicle, depending on what you are.

MILES has been in use for several years now and the US Army seems happy with
it.  It is particularly good for armoured battles.  With such a large
investment in it I don't know why the Army would consider replacing it,
and why companies would invest in developing more such systems.

Paul Franzon
Captain,
Royal Australian Infantry Corps
S-2
1-120th Inf (M) NCARNG
--
"Give the Enemy every opportunity to die for his country"

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)

>MILES has been in use for several years now and the US Army seems happy with
>it.  It is particularly good for armoured battles.  With such a large
>investment in it I don't know why the Army would consider replacing it,
>and why companies would invest in developing more such systems.

The companies are investing (and lobbying) in hopes of getting a fat
government contract to develop a new system.  And the Army is considering
it because contractors have Congressmen.  Rational military needs have
nothing to do with it. :-)

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu