[sci.military] Unconventional Warfare

military@att.att.com (Bill Thacker) (06/07/89)

From: military@att.att.com (Bill Thacker)
mcdaniel@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (Tim McDaniel) writes:

>What can urban civilians do
>to attack troops, given the "usual" equipment in foreign cities (i.e.
>guns are not usually available)?  For example, I've heard that large
>rocks or cement blocks can be used to detrack tanks, which then are
>more vulnerable if infantry is absent.  Molotov cocktails have been
>used to some good effect in Beijing.  What other things can be done?

A good reference for some of this, if it's still available, is
_Men Against Tanks_ by John Weeks.  It details the history of antitank
warfare, and, in addition to discussing conventional techniques
(antitank rifles, AT guns, missiles, etc) goes into some length
of ad-hoc antiarmor warfare.  In particular, it details the
techniques taught to the British Home Guard.

The best way to take out a tank is with fire.  You can asphyxiate the
engine, the crew, or both, or just force the crew to bail out.  Molotov
cocktails probably top the list, but the Home Guard went so far as to
bury entire drums of gasoline, er, petrol, as antitank weapons. 6 seconds
of immolation would suffice to stop a 1940 tank.  One technique was
Fougasses,  40-gallon oil drums buried, with some guncotton and incendiary
packed behind them.  They would produce a 10'x30yd flame.  Fougasses were
also used in Vietnam, at least, according to "The Green Berets".  It
relies, obviously, on the tank being already immobilized.

Unsupported armor is really quite vunerable to personnel.  Visibility
is limited, especially to the sides and rear.  The Panther, for example,
had a blind spot starting some 40 feet from the tank.  Covering the vision
blocks with mud or paint renders the crew blind (and terrified);
machineguns can be disabled with sledgehammers or crowbars, and the main
gun can be taken out by putting rocks in the barrel.  Removing the radio
aerial leave the crew out of touch.  Large rocks, or poles, can be wedged
in the tracks to immobilize the beast.  The biggest trick is to find people
brave enough to engage 40 tons of angry steel.

Tank crews are very aware of these hazards, too.  During the Spanish
Civil war, for example, a couple of neat psychological tricks were
employed.  In one case, inverted pie plates were placed on the main
road through a town.  The tanks arrived, and the crews were unwilling
to drive over them, or to get out and investigate; the column was
delayed for some time.  In another case, a clothesline was strung
across a main street, with sheets hanging from it.  Again, the tank
crews refused to dismount, instead spraying the area with machinegun
fire for some time.  The column was delayed for over an hour, until
heavy tanks made their way forward through the traffic jam, and cut
the line with an HE blast.   In both cases, of course, supporting infantry
would have quickly discovered the ruse.

That's the key; to separate the tanks from their infantry support.
This is perhaps easiest in city fighting, which also provides lots of
cover from which to assault the tank.  It's also facilitated by poorly-
trained, inexperienced soldiers, which may well be the case in Beijing.

Some of the footage I saw on the news included burning APC's, and
rioters smashing the vision blocks of an armored vehicle with iron
bars; it appears the Chinese learn quickly...

Bill Thacker      moderator, sci.military      military@att.att.com
		      (614) 860-5294
"War is a matter of vital importance to the State; the province of life
or death; the road to survival or ruin. It is mandatory that it be
thoroughly studied."   -  Sun Tzu