[sci.military] Calibers

military@att.att.com (Bill Thacker) (06/05/89)

From: military@att.att.com (Bill Thacker)
[imported from rec.guns]

In article <28043@ism780c.isc.com> techsup!trsvax!earl@sys1.tandy.com writes:
>     Have you figured out the British "pounder" system yet?
>
>     They used to used neat guns like "12-pounder", "24-pounder", and so on.
>     Somebody always has to mess up things.

The "pounder" system was a holdover from the earliest days of artillery,
when a gun was classified by the weight of the shot it threw.  Hence,
a 24-pounder fired a 24-pound ball.  This usage continued as standard
up through the American Civil War, by which point it was being superceded
by bore diameters.  The largest "pounder" I'm aware of was the 300-pounder
Parrott Rifle.

The usage continued, mostly in the British Army, until shortly after WWII.
The only ones that come to mind in the WWII era are:

2-pounder (40mm) tank/antitank gun
6-pounder (57mm.  Note that the US used the exact same gun, and called
	it 57mm, not 6-pdr)  Also tank/antitank
13-pounder (76.2mm) WWI-vintage horse artillery, issued to Home Guard
17-pounder (76.2mm) tank/antitank gun. Unlike 2- and 6-pdr, it had HE
	capability
18-pounder (83.8mm) artillery
25-pounder (87.6mm) artillery
32-pounder (94mm) tank gun (postwar)

Of course, with the advent of ogival projectiles, the diameters of the
modern guns were smaller than their older equivalents, which fired
round shot.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Bill Thacker      moderator, sci.military      military@att.att.com
		      (614) 860-5294
"War is a matter of vital importance to the State; the province of life
or death; the road to survival or ruin. It is mandatory that it be
thoroughly studied."   -  Sun Tzu

drl@kodak.com (Dan Lance) (06/07/89)

From: drl@kodak.com (Dan Lance)
In article <7129@cbnews.ATT.COM> military@att.att.com (Bill Thacker) writes:
>The only ones that come to mind in the WWII era are:
>
>2-pounder (40mm) tank/antitank gun
>6-pounder (57mm.  Note that the US used the exact same gun, and called
>	it 57mm, not 6-pdr)  Also tank/antitank
[...]

Add 1-pdr (??, but small) Pre-WWII Royal Navy AA guns used this caliber.
and 3-pdr (47mm) A few pre-WWII tanks (such as the Medium Mk II)
		used this gun.  As far as I know all of these tanks were
		obsolete in 1939, but some still were around and may
		have been used by the Home Guard.

--drl
Daniel R. Lance / Eastman Kodak Company, Rocheser NY  / drl@kodak.com
		never