[sci.military] Fire control

allen%codon1.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (06/07/89)

From: allen%codon1.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

I've played a lot of WWII armored miniatures games and a lot of board
games on the topic too.  One thing I find hard to judge is the relative
effectiveness of certain tactics compared to each other in real life.  I
can judge how effective they are in any particular game system.  An
example:  I remember reading that in North Africa, the preferred mode of
engagement for light tanks like Stuarts and Cruisers to engage AT guns was
a zigzag approach until the tanks reached their effective firing range,
hopefully using confusing dodges to make up for the lack of effective
cover.  Anybody have data on how effective such a tactic is in making a
tank harder to hit?  If such tactics are used by, say, a company of 15
Stuarts to attack a battery of, say, five 88's, are any of the Stuarts
likely to make it close enough to take out any of the 88's if the LOS of
the 88's is unimpeded by any considerations of ground?  I'm assuming this
is purely an exercise in targeting and rate of fire vs speed and dodging
and shooting by the tanks because any hit by an 88 on a Stuart will pretty
much trash it.  Are there other tactics for the tanks that will do better?
How much so?  Assume the eighty eights are hastily set up and not in
protected emplacements to begin with.  If they are dug in, how much does
this change the situation?  If the defending AT guns are German 75s, how
much does this change the situation?  If they are 57s?  What ratio of
Stuarts to 88's are needed to overwhelm the AT guns ability to pick them
off?  How much does the situation change if we swap in Shermans for the
Stuarts?  What I guess I'm looking for is a database of situations that
are simple enough in the real engagements to get a sense of the
actual interplay of the factors involved.  I'd like to have more than a
set of wargamers' best guesses to go by.

Perhaps to approach the problem in a different way, if I am trying to
shoot an AT gun at a moving tank, how do the tank's speed, range, angle of
approach, and frequency of jinking affect my probability to hit?  How much
does it matter if the ground is uneven, making the tank move up and down
alot to a degree smaller than the height of the tank?  What's the effect of
the the tank occasionally dipping into dead ground on my aim?
How much slower is the real rate of fire of AT guns under combat
conditions than the ideal rate of fire under testing ground conditions?

So does anybody have real data or experience to share that can help an
armchair warrior evaluate these kind of questions?

All replies  appreciated, by e-mail or posting.
Ed Allen (allen@enzyme.berkeley.edu)

bsmart@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Smart) (06/09/89)

From: vrdxhq!vrdxhq.verdix.com!bsmart@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Smart)

In article <7208@cbnews.ATT.COM>, allen%codon1.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU writes:

A lot about employment of armor against AT guns, concentrating
on North Africa.

> Ed Allen (allen@enzyme.berkeley.edu)

I always found Brazen Chariots by Robert Crisp to be a good
first hand source on North Africa. Crisp was a tank commander
in a Honey ( M-3 Stuart). The book concentrates on one campaign
I believe Crusader. I often wish He had another book continueing
on to cover the rest of the war ( or maybe he was out of it, I
can't remember how it closes now.) The book first came out in
the 50's I think. I have the Bantam edition from the late 60's.

Does anyone have good first hand armor books? I have another one
about the Churchill Crocodiles ( Flame throwers) that I can't
remember the name of. I am looking for all periods, all theaters.

Bob Smart (bsmart@verdix.com)

[mod.note: I'll second the nomination for Brazen Chariots, with the
caveat that it's tough to pull much useful gaming info out of it.
It does a great job of portraying the feel of combat, though.

At one point, Crisp mistakes a Crusader for a PzKwIII and opens
fire, putting many rounds into it (and killing the gunner,
as I recall).  The Crusader commander later remarked, "that was
bloody good shooting !"

- Bill ]

kluksdah@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Norman C. Kluksdahl) (06/09/89)

From: kluksdah@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Norman C. Kluksdahl)
In article <7208@cbnews.ATT.COM>, allen%codon1.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU writes:

> I read that in North Africa, the ... mode of
> engagement for ... Stuarts ... to engage AT guns was
> a zigzag approach until the tanks reached their effective firing range,
> If such tactics are used by ... 15
> Stuarts to attack a ... five 88's, are any of the Stuarts
> likely to make it close enough to take out any of the 88's?

This reminds me of a book I once read about the battles in North Africa,
especially the tank battles of Montgomery's army.  There were quite a few
Stuart tanks used, which created supply problems.  The high-profile
resulted from radial (? this point is muddy) engines, which required
aviation petrol.  Secondly, the book, "Brazen Chariots" outlines the
escapades of one tank commander in a few days' battles, in which he had
5 or 6 Stuart tanks shot from under him.  (The last one also took him out
of action).  In light of this data, I would not want to be one taking on
an 88 with a Stuart.  Or 3 Stuarts.  Or 8 .......

Perhaps the name was inappropriately chosen for this tank.  Perhaps it
should have been the M5 Suicidal Insanity :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

[mod.note:  Actually, it was the M3 at that stage of the war.  The M5
came later; I don't know if it saw Sicily, but certainly was involved
in France.

Anyway, the Brits christened the M3 the "Honey", apparently more
due to its automotive characteristics than anything else.

- Bill ]

Norman Kluksdahl              Arizona State University
            ..ncar!noao!asuvax!enuxha!kluksdah
alternate:   kluksdah@enuxc1.eas.asu.edu

standard disclaimer implied