[sci.military] British gun calibers

hwh%aipna.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK (Howard Hughes) (06/10/89)

From: Howard Hughes <hwh%aipna.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
>From article <7030@cbnews.ATT.COM>, by hall@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (john hall):
>
> What is a 1-pounder, 2-pounder, 6-pounder, etc?
>
> I understand 16", 155mm, and 50 caliber but have never
> known how to correlate that with old british descriptions
> for gun sizes.

2-pounder - 40mm as fitted to British Matilda tanks
6-pounder - 57mm fairly common anti-tank gun also used on Farmille class
                  Motor Gun Boats
17-pounder - 76.2mm/3 inch as fitted to Sherman Fireflies
25-pounder - (unknown) WWII British gun but often used as an anti-tank weapon
100-pounder - 5.5 inch WWII British field gun.

Sorry to be so vague, rec.games.frp is more my field.

			       A.