[sci.military] submission: sci.military

military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) (06/05/89)

From: homxc!11366ns (Nicholas J Sauer +1 201 949 7076)

     I recently purchased a copy of GDW's old System 7 Napoleonics and
the associated sets of counters.  I like the game very much and would
like to play it, but need some help.  The game doesn't give you any
maps or senarios to set up battles with.  So, I need a source that would
be able to give me the following:
     1) I need to build my own maps so I need moderately detailed maps of
one or more battlefields of the Napoleonic wars.  The game scale is one
inch equals 40 yards, and one contour line is 10 feet in height, so the
maps have to be pretty detailed.  Perhaps there is another game with a
similar scale?
     2) I need to set up my own battle senarios.  One counter is
approximately one company.  I would assume that this means I will only
be setting up small parts of larger battles.  So, I guess I'm looking
for something that gives company level orders of battle for one or more
of the battles.
     3) Some details on the actual units provided is a little sketchy.
I need information on which companies are organized into two rank and
three rank lines.  I also need to know which artillery batteries are
light or heavy artillery batteries (I imagine this probably changed
throughout the wars).
     Well, that's it.  I guess I should mention that I am new to the
Napoleonic Wars as well, so a book detailing the history would be nice
also.  I hope there are some Napoleonics experts out there who could
help me.  Thanks in advance.

Nick Sauer

major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt) (06/10/89)

From: ssc-vax!shuksan!major@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Mike Schmitt)

In article <7126@cbnews.ATT.COM>, military@cbnews.ATT.COM (William B. Thacker) writes:

> From: homxc!11366ns (Nicholas J Sauer +1 201 949 7076)

  Re your request for Napoleonic data for wargamming.  I'll have to go dig
  in my stuff for some specifics.  I've got some rules for "Frappe",
  "Napoleonique", and "Empire" - I'll gather the data on sources, title,
  etc.  Is this a board game - or miniatures?

  As far as source material on history - just about anything by David Chandler
  will be helpful.

>      2) I need to set up my own battle senarios.  One counter is
> approximately one company.  I would assume that this means I will only
> be setting up small parts of larger battles.  So, I guess I'm looking
> for something that gives company level orders of battle for one or more
> of the battles.

   Difficult, since most Napoleonics are at the level of battalion/regiment.
   You might want to recreate the battle for Hougomont (Waterloo) with the
   Light Companies of the Coldstream Guards.  Just a suggestion.

   Sketchy response, I know, but you've asked for a tremendous amount of
   information - tell me what battle you'd like to recreate - and I can
   get you some source material, rules, tactics, and order of battle.

   mike