[sci.military] What is a 6-pounder gun?

hall@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (john hall) (06/01/89)

From: john hall <hall@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>

What is a 1-pounder, 2-pounder, 6-pounder, etc?

I understand 16", 155mm, and 50 caliber but have never
known how to correlate that with old british descriptions
for gun sizes.

John

mayse@p.cs.uiuc.edu (06/05/89)

From: mayse@p.cs.uiuc.edu

It used to be that artillery were described simply by the weight of the
projectiles.  Back around the time of the Revolutionary War, for instance,
the heaviest naval armament (at least on British and American ships)
consisted of "24-pounders" and "32-pounders," also known colloquially
(I believe) as "long toms" and "carronades."  (The 24's were for firing
"accurately" at some distance; the 32's were for close-in bashing).
This latter term/role are probably the reason the first USN purpose-
designed fire support ship (for amphibious assaults) was the USS Carronade.

[mod.note:  I believe that the term "carronade" refers to a gun mounted
on the ship's gunwales via a pintle mount, as opposed to being mounted
on a carriage.   As they couldn't recoil, the powder charge had to be
small, reducing the effective range of the gun.   Correct me if I'm
wrong...  In any case, the name derives from the town of Carron, Scotland,
which apparently had a fine ironworks. - Bill ]

The above designation scheme was probably descriptive enough when all
(or most) projectiles were cast-iron balls, but when varying projectile
shapes came along it became useful to describe the guns themselves (e. g.
"five-inch") rather than indirectly by their ammunition.  As I recall, a
"two-pounder" is roughly a 37mm, and a "six-pounder" is probably about
a 75.

malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy) (06/06/89)

From: malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy)

In article <7127@cbnews.ATT.COM> mayse@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>It used to be that artillery were described simply by the weight of the
>projectiles.  Back around the time of the Revolutionary War, for instance,
>the heaviest naval armament (at least on British and American ships)
>consisted of "24-pounders" and "32-pounders," also known colloquially
>(I believe) as "long toms" and "carronades."  (The 24's were for firing
>"accurately" at some distance; the 32's were for close-in bashing).
>This latter term/role are probably the reason the first USN purpose-
>designed fire support ship (for amphibious assaults) was the USS Carronade.
>
>[mod.note:  I believe that the term "carronade" refers to a gun mounted
>on the ship's gunwales via a pintle mount, as opposed to being mounted
>on a carriage.   As they couldn't recoil, the powder charge had to be
>small, reducing the effective range of the gun.   Correct me if I'm
>wrong...  In any case, the name derives from the town of Carron, Scotland,
>which apparently had a fine ironworks. - Bill ]

Carronades were used to increase the weight of shot a broadside could
deliver without the weight penalty that long guns of the same shot
weight carried. Three-decker ships of the line often would have
thirty-two or forty-eight pounder guns on the lower gun deck; however,
the weight of these guns made them impractical for smaller vessels.
The carronade allowed small ships to fire a heavy broadside, albeit at
the cost of trading off most of the range of the long gun. The
increased weight of broadside at the ranges British sailing orders
prescribed combat made the carronade a very viable weapon.

The most common carronade was the 32-pounder, although they were also
made in 48-, 24-, and 16-pounder versions as well. The carronades
would fire the same weight of powder as the long gun of the same shot
weight, and would achieve much the same velocity, the gunpowder
quality being more important than barrel length, given the
shot-to-barrel fit (or lack thereof) during the period.

 Sean Malloy					| "The proton absorbs a photon
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center	| and emits two morons, a
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800			| lepton, a boson, and a
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil				| boson's mate. Why did I ever

lance@kodak.com (Dan Lance) (06/07/89)

From: lance@kodak.com (Dan Lance)

Our fearless moderator writes:
>[mod.note:  I believe that the term "carronade" refers to a gun mounted
>on the ship's gunwales via a pintle mount, as opposed to being mounted
>on a carriage.   As they couldn't recoil, the powder charge had to be
>small, reducing the effective range of the gun.   Correct me if I'm
>wrong...  In any case, the name derives from the town of Carron, Scotland,
>which apparently had a fine ironworks. - Bill ]

The term "carronade" refers to a short-barreled, large-caliber gun
mounted on a more-or-less conventional naval carriage.  They posessed
shorter range and lower muzzle velocity than the long-barrelled
guns they replaced, and were quite devastating at short range.
The name does come from Carron, Scotland;  they were first used in the
late eighteenth century.   US frigates of the Revolutionary period
typically carried a high proportion of these weapons.

If I remember correctly, conventional naval guns of the period
ranged from 6 or 8-pdrs for sloops and the top decks of larger ships
to 24 and 32 pdrs for ships of the line.  Carronades could be much
lighter per pound of ball thrown;  these guns typically were rated
as (approx.) 77 pdrs.  They were quite effective when loaded with grape
or shell, though you had to get close to the enemy to use them.

The little swivel guns on the gunwales were much smaller -- sort of like
large shotguns -- and were used to repel boarders.  They were also
sometimes mounted in the tops.

--drl
Daniel R. Lance / Eastman Kodak Company, Rochester NY / drl@kodak.com

scameron@blake.acs.washington.edu (Scott Cameron) (06/07/89)

From: scameron@blake.acs.washington.edu (Scott Cameron)

If memory serves the pintle-mounted pieces were called "swivel guns"
or some such.  Carronades were mounted on carriages, and did, I think,
fire 32 or 36 lb. balls.  They were short stubby guns, with a very
short range, but you could really pound the enemy if you could get in
close.  I seem to recall they could fire exploding shot, but I'm not
sure.

S.D. Cameron               "                      -I have sole and complete
U of WA                  --+--                     right to these opinions,
Seattle       ____________(*)____________          as long as I cannot be
Bioengineering          !     !                    fitted with a magazine
scameron@toby.acs.washington.edu                   holding > 20 opinions.

borynec@watmath.waterloo.edu (James Borynec) (06/08/89)

From: bnr-di!borynec@watmath.waterloo.edu (James Borynec)

In article <7127@cbnews.ATT.COM>, mayse@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> [mod.note:  I believe that the term "carronade" refers to a gun mounted
> on the ship's gunwales via a pintle mount, as opposed to being mounted
> on a carriage.   As they couldn't recoil, the powder charge had to be
> small, reducing the effective range of the gun.   Correct me if I'm
> wrong...  In any case, the name derives from the town of Carron, Scotland,
> which apparently had a fine ironworks. - Bill ]

Carronades had trunnions and looked much like shorter, thinner skinned
cannons.  They were mounted on carriages.  Their chief advantage was
that they were MUCH lighter than cannons and hence a ship could throw
a much larger weight of fire for a given weight of guns.  They also tended
to use shell and grapeshot ammunition more frequently because of their
shorter range.

As a side note,  it is interesting to note that solid iron shot was
not the projectile of choice in the early days of siege war, carved stone
shot was.  Stone on impact caused much more damage because it splintered.
Also, it could be thrown farther.  It was abandoned because of its
expense.

James Borynec.  utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-di!borynec

--
UUCP : utzoo!bnr-vpa!bnr-di!borynec  James Borynec, Bell Northern Research
Bitnet: borynec@bnr.CA        Box 3511, Stn C, Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 4H7

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (06/09/89)

From: welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty)

In article <7195@cbnews.ATT.COM>, Dan Lance writes:
=The term "carronade" refers to a short-barreled, large-caliber gun
=mounted on a more-or-less conventional naval carriage.  They posessed
=shorter range and lower muzzle velocity than the long-barrelled
=guns they replaced, and were quite devastating at short range.
=The name does come from Carron, Scotland;  they were first used in the
=late eighteenth century.   US frigates of the Revolutionary period
=typically carried a high proportion of these weapons.

and some went overboard, in extreme cases equipping ships
entirely with carronades.  this rendered them extremely
vulnerable to stand-off gunfire tactics when attacked by
ships armed with longer guns.

richard
--
richard welty          welty@lewis.crd.ge.com         welty@algol.crd.ge.com
           518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>and some went overboard, in extreme cases equipping ships
>entirely with carronades.  this rendered them extremely
>vulnerable to stand-off gunfire tactics when attacked by
>ships armed with longer guns.

Assuming, of course, that the ships with longer guns could hit the broad
side of a barn, which wasn't common.