[sci.military] F-16 afterburners

page@ferrari.ece.uiuc.edu (Ward C. Page) (06/13/89)

From: page@ferrari.ece.uiuc.edu (Ward C. Page)

> I can offer some insight, as I help developed an "F-16 like" aircraft
> simulation recently.  According to our co-contractor, the throttle
> used in the simulation just like the real F-16 throttle.  At throttle settings
> below afterburner, the throttle is very smooth; in the afterburner range,
> the throttle had several detents.  Hence, one could select some number of
> detents of afterburner.

Actually, the F-16 only has detents at the military setting.  Once you go
into afterburner the throttle moves smoothly.  This is true for the C and N
models, I'm not sure about the A model.

Ward Page
University of Illinois (formerly of General Dynamics)
page@ferrari.ece.uiuc.edu

shafer@drynix (Mary Shafer) (06/14/89)

From: Mary Shafer <shafer@drynix>
Ward Page writes:

   Actually, the F-16 only has detents at the military setting.  Once you go
   into afterburner the throttle moves smoothly.  This is true for the C and N
   models, I'm not sure about the A model.

It is true for the A model.  I just asked one of our test pilots.  He
say it's true for all US fighters.  We decided that it may be covered
by some MILSPEC.

This pilot also flys a MiG-15 (for a museum), so now I have even more
information.  In the MiG-15, turning the engine off and on is done
with the HP (high pressure) cock, which is separate from the throttle
lever.  The MiG-15 throttle lever is just a throttle, with a range from
idle to MIL, since it doesn't have a burner.  He thinks that the MiG-17,
which does have a burner, has a detent at MIL.

I have also been told that the Concorde has the detent at max dry thrust
(this isn't a military plane, after all).