[sci.military] Battleship repairs

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (06/12/89)

From: jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett)
    In today's paper, I saw a short item about the Battleship that recently
(7 weeks ago) had the turret explosion.  It is supposed to be sailing to the
Meditterranean Sea for duty.  Did they repair the damage that quickly?  Or,
did they just clean up the mess and send the ship back to sea?  Does anyone
out there have further details that they can provide publicly?

                                      Thanks,

                                        Jim Pritchett

                                        UUCP:  {killer|texbell}!letni!caleb!jdp
                                         or    killer!gtmvax!dms3b1!caleb!jdp

jkmedcal@uunet.UU.NET (Jeff K Medcalf) (06/13/89)

From: Jeff K Medcalf <sun!Central!uokmax!jkmedcal@uunet.UU.NET>

>From: jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett)
>    In today's paper, I saw a short item about the Battleship that recently
>(7 weeks ago) had the turret explosion.  It is supposed to be sailing to the
>Meditterranean Sea for duty.  Did they repair the damage that quickly?  Or,
>did they just clean up the mess and send the ship back to sea?  Does anyone
>out there have further details that they can provide publicly?

The Iowa will not use her damaged turret during the cruise.  It was a preplanned
training cruise, and apparently the Navy is using the time for long-lead items
for the turret repair.

--
I dream I'm safe				jkmedcal@uokmax.UUCP
In my hotel womb 				Jeff Medcalf

geoffb@dartvax.dartmouth.edu (Geoff Bronner) (06/13/89)

From: eleazar!geoffb@dartvax.dartmouth.edu (Geoff Bronner)

In article <7365@cbnews.ATT.COM> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:

>From: jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett)
>    In today's paper, I saw a short item about the Battleship that recently
>(7 weeks ago) had the turret explosion.  It is supposed to be sailing to the
>Meditterranean Sea for duty.  Did they repair the damage that quickly?  Or,
>did they just clean up the mess and send the ship back to sea?  Does anyone
>out there have further details that they can provide publicly?

Actually, they didn't do repairs. A the present time the US Navy has no spare
parts to repair the turret on the Iowa (since it's 40 years old) so they have
simply cranked it back in to position and sealed it.
Speculation now is wether this is all they plan to do or if they will
remover the turret and replace it with more tomahawk missiles.

             UUCP:| ...!{harvard,linus,att}!dartvax!eleazar!geoffb
         InterNet:| geoffb@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU
         Hardcopy:| HB #0338; Dartmouth College; Hanover, NH 03755
                Social Chair for 1989. Fun is my profession.

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (06/13/89)

From: welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty)

In article <7365@cbnews.ATT.COM>, Jim Pritchett writes:
*    In today's paper, I saw a short item about the Battleship that recently
*(7 weeks ago) had the turret explosion.  It is supposed to be sailing to the
*Meditterranean Sea for duty.  Did they repair the damage that quickly?  Or,
*did they just clean up the mess and send the ship back to sea?  Does anyone
*out there have further details that they can provide publicly?

they just cleaned things up; yard time for major warships is scheduled
well in advance and taking the ship in for immediate repair would have
rather upset scheduling; besides, this allows them to petition Congress
to make the repairs an explicit budget FY '90 item -- otherwise it would
come out of FY '89 discretionary funds (which i hear are rather depleted.)

Keep in mind that Iowa still has 6 operable 16" guns in her primary
battery, 6 operable dual-5" turrets in her secondary battery, and
magazines full of Harpoon and Tomahawk missiles.  She still has
a bit of a punch, even with one 16" turret disabled.

word is they will be using the B turret for training purposes, but will
not be firing with it on this cruise.

richard
--
richard welty         welty@lewis.crd.ge.com         welty@algol.crd.ge.com
           518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (06/14/89)

From: welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty)

In article <7398@cbnews.ATT.COM>, Geoff Bronner writes:
*Actually, they didn't do repairs. A the present time the US Navy has no spare
*parts to repair the turret on the Iowa (since it's 40 years old) so they have
*simply cranked it back in to position and sealed it.
*Speculation now is wether this is all they plan to do or if they will
*remover the turret and replace it with more tomahawk missiles.

???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the navy has publicly stated that repair is feasible and reasonably
economical, and that the repairs have been delayed in order to avoid
fouling up yard scheduling.  while some spares may not be in inventory,
as near as i can tell the Navy retained the tooling for nearly
everything in these ships, with the possible exception of the
electro-mechanical fire-control computers.  keep in mind that such
fire-control systems are not a lost art; i don't know about the newest
attack subs, but quite a few (most?) relatively modern US subs still
use such systems.

richard
--
richard welty         welty@lewis.crd.ge.com         welty@algol.crd.ge.com
           518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York
                 ``Join the Navy, see Thimble Shoals''