[sci.military] German claims in WW2

amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Amos Shapira) (06/09/89)

From: Amos Shapira <amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

The German "victories" did count aircraft ON the ground, but also marked
those as such.

However, even THIS claim is inaplicable to Maj. Eric Hartman. True, the
Russian airforce was decimated... in the first 2 weeks of the war. Hartman
started fighting on October 9, 1942 (after finishing training). First claim
was on November 7. During his first 100(!) sorties, he shot down only 7
Reds. After 100 more, his score was 34 (July 1943). On the 20th of September,
1943 he reached 100 victories. His last victory was on the 8th of May, 1945
over Brunn.

As for British claims, which were VASTLY exagerated, Top scorer was Pattle
with (?) 40+.

Score list (top three, all counties):
Britain
     J. Pattle       40+
     JE Johnson      33.91 (38)
     B. Finucane     32

      (Pattle- South African, Johnson- British, Finucane- Irish)

US of A
     R. I. Bong      40
     T. B. McGuire   38
     D. S. McCampbell 34

     (Bong and McGuire - 5th AF, McCampbell- USN)

Japan
     T. Iwamoto      80 (+14 China)
     H. Nishizawa    87
     S. Sugita       70

     (All Japanese claims are uncertain as the authorities destroyed records
      in order to reduce "one-upmanship").

Russia
     I. N. Kozhedub  62
     A. I. Pokryshkin 59
     G. A. Rechkalov 56

Finland
     E. I. Juutilainen 92
     H. H. Wind      78
     E. A. Luukkanen 53.5

[mod.note:  I understand that at least one Finnish "high ace", perhaps
one of these three, got the bulk of his kills flying an F2A Brewster
Buffalo.  Can anyone comfirm ?  - Bill ]

German
     E. Hartman      352
     G. Barkhorn     301
     G. Rall         275

A note on scoring: The british, french, US, and Italian (which I did not
include for the obvoius reasons) were VERY simple- EVERYONE who fired
(participated) at a german plane which ostensibly fell, got a partial score
(in some cases, mainly in Britain, they got FULL score). German pilots, on
the other hand, received a "kill" only for a CONFIRMED crash. Enemy planes
shot down by more than one pilot were scored to the unit ONLY, never the pilot.
I am not sertain about the Russian system, but then I am from Russia, and am
prejudiced.

The Finns emulated the German system, as far as they were able.
In Japan (as in Britain, France and Italy) a plane which was damaged was
sometimes counted "killed". Thus, Japanese scores are inflated (assumption).

In Britain, the "killed"/"damaged"/"forced to land" scoring system existed,
with the actual decision reserved to the unit commnader, making the scoring
rather flexible.

   Quiz: Who was the highest scoring fighter pilot on the WESTERN/AFRICAN
front ONLY?

         Marc A. Volovic, Sgt. (res)

fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (06/13/89)

From: fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

> From: Amos Shapira <amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>
> The German "victories" did count aircraft ON the ground, but also marked
> those as such.
> [...various top scores in WW2...]
> Finland
>      E. I. Juutilainen 92
>      H. H. Wind      78
>      E. A. Luukkanen 53.5
>
> [mod.note:  I understand that at least one Finnish "high ace", perhaps
> one of these three, got the bulk of his kills flying an F2A Brewster
> Buffalo.  Can anyone comfirm ?  - Bill ]

James Gilbert's "World's Worst Aircraft" has a chapter on the
Brewster Buffalo (appropriately).  It was *really* an inferior
aircraft.

It was heavily armored, underpowered, and lightly armed.  Some
were based at Singapore (for a while you could sell just about
any fighter aircraft at all to various European air forces), and
the first notice that people there had that a Japanese air raid
was on the way was that the last two Buffalos had taken off and
were flying in the *opposite* direction.  (Eventually only one
was left, and it was taken to Japan for testing...)  All 154 RAF
Buffalos in Malaya in 1941 were destroyed within three months.

Everyone else hated them...but the Finns.  They got an earlier
version, nearly a ton lighter than what the rest got, with a
better engine.  Also, the Brewster's main...well, one of its
main...failing, overheating, was not so much of a problem in
Finland.

E.A. Luukkanen's book "Fighter over Finland" covers his
experience flying the Buffalo against Russian air force
opponents.  (Fighter over Finland, Macdonald, 1963)

hhm@ihlpy.ATT.COM (Mayo) (06/13/89)

From: hhm@ihlpy.ATT.COM (Mayo)

> The German "victories" did count aircraft ON the ground, but also marked
> those as such.

The use of the term "victory" is used by many of the aces in deference
to, and respect for their former enemies. The term "kill" is repellent to
many of them.   Ground shooting of aircraft may have been officially
permitted, but whether it was practiced is the question. I don't
recall any such quota of ground destroyed aircraft credited to any of
the scores of the major German aces.  Several of the aces including
Galland, Rall and Hartmann regularly come to the U.S. as guests at ticket
dinners where they answer questions. Talking to them soon gives one the
idea that many of the so-called experts on the Luftwaffe are incorrect
on many points.

                                               Larry Mayo

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (06/14/89)

From: welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty)

In article <7285@cbnews.ATT.COM>, Amos Shapira writes:
=US of A
=     R. I. Bong      40
=     T. B. McGuire   38
=     D. S. McCampbell 34
=
=     (Bong and McGuire - 5th AF, McCampbell- USN)

=A note on scoring: The british, french, US, and Italian (which I did not
=include for the obvoius reasons) were VERY simple- EVERYONE who fired
=(participated) at a german plane which ostensibly fell, got a partial score
=(in some cases, mainly in Britain, they got FULL score). German pilots, on
=the other hand, received a "kill" only for a CONFIRMED crash.

I got the distinct impression from a book i read recently (_Guadalcanal:
Decision at Sea_) that certain victories for US pilots in the Pacific were
only scored if the aircraft were seen going into the water; otherwise
they got `probables' or no score at all.

it seemed like most of the confusion in scores comes from multiple claims
by AA crews on various vessels in task forces.

richard
   (by the way, _Guadalcanal: Decision at Sea_ is a very good book,
    and i hope to post a review in the near future.)
--
richard welty         welty@lewis.crd.ge.com         welty@algol.crd.ge.com
           518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York

kluksdah@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Norman C. Kluksdahl) (06/16/89)

From: kluksdah@enuxha.eas.asu.edu (Norman C. Kluksdahl)
In article <7434@cbnews.ATT.COM>, welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) writes:
> In article <7285@cbnews.ATT.COM>, Amos Shapira writes:
>
> = The british, french, US, and Italian were VERY simple- EVERYONE who fired
> =(participated) at a german plane which ostensibly fell, got a partial score
>
> it seemed like most of the confusion in scores comes from multiple claims
> by AA crews on various vessels in task forces.

And then there is the confusion over kills by gunners in US bombers.  (ref:
"Flying Forts" by Martin Caiden, among other books).  At first, the gunners
were eager to claim anything they fired at which fell as a kill.  With a
formation of dozens of bombers (early in the efforts of the 8th), there were
many 'duplicate' kills, sufficiently so that the rules were very severly
revised.  Jokes sprang up to the effect that claiming a kill was next to
impossible.  Somewhere (a museum?  CAF museum?) I saw a comic poster, which
had a waist gunner watching an enemy plane break up.  The other waist gunner
asked if he was going to claim a kill--the reply, no, he didn't see it hit
the ground.

Norman Kluksdahl              Arizona State University
            ..ncar!noao!asuvax!enuxha!kluksdah
alternate:   kluksdah@enuxc1.eas.asu.edu

standard disclaimer implied