[sci.military] odd tank methods...

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (06/16/89)

From: jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt)
>More unbelievable are stories about men jumping on a tank from
>behind and actually knocking on the hatch. The tank commander
>would then open the hatch and look out, thus enabling our guy to
>toss a grenade or two inside. I know that my fellow coutrymen are
>liable to do the weirdest things, but this is a bit thick. Might
>have happened, still. They gave you a leave for busting a tank.

Couple of decades ago I saw Italian troops dodging around tanks that LOOKED
like they were trying very hard to run them down.  The troops would even
go UNDER the tanks!  (not this kid!!!)  They would catch something on the
back and vault up onto the tank and proceed to demonstrate nastey possibilities.

The tanks are not there to protect the troops, the troops are there to protect
the tanks.  The tanks are there to serve as mobile artilery against targets
somewhat larger than individuals.

The above was test data, and not the responsibility of any organization.
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu  - or - jwm@aplvax.uucp  - or - meritt%aplvm.BITNET