[sci.military] Book reqest - Weapons development

amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Amos Shapira) (06/15/89)

From: Amos Shapira <amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

  Hello, I am looking for a book (or books) that describe the development of
military equipment (weapons, armour, siege equipment) from around 500BC to
1700.

  If you can, please list ISBN and Publishers, since it is extremely hard
to get to proper catalogues in Israel.

   Thanks in advance,

   Marc A. Volovic

lehnert@valhalla.csc.ti.com (Kevin Lehnert) (06/16/89)

From: Kevin Lehnert <lehnert@valhalla.csc.ti.com>
In article <7483@cbnews.ATT.COM> you write:

   > From: Amos Shapira <amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
   >
   >   Hello, I am looking for a book (or books) that describe the development of
   > military equipment (weapons, armour, siege equipment) from around 500BC to
   > 1700.
   >
   >   If you can, please list ISBN and Publishers, since it is extremely hard
   > to get to proper catalogues in Israel.

Hopefully someone else can find the ISBN and publisher's for this, but I read
a bokk about this exact topic called roughly "Evolution of Warfare and
Weapons" by either William Dupuy or Trevor Dupuy (I think William). I don't
have a copy myself (was a library book), but it was probably published late
70's or very early 80's. It was very good in it's discussion of how
technological developments preceded tactical use of the new weapons (fighting
the war with last war's tactics but this war's weapons). Sorry I couldn't give
you more detailed information.

Kevin Lehnert
TI Computer Science Center
Dallas, TX

rbeville%tekig5.pen.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Bob Beville) (06/17/89)

From: Bob Beville <rbeville%tekig5.pen.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

In article <7483@cbnews.ATT.COM>, amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Amos Shapira) writes:
> From: Amos Shapira <amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>   Hello, I am looking for a book (or books) that describe the development of
> military equipment (weapons, armour, siege equipment) from around 500BC to
> 1700.
>    Thanks in advance, >    Marc A. Volovic

	Your pursuit is connected to the development of the lathe...
	The book I had in mind for you was no longer in our library or
	it's card catalog... it was old as I recall, probably pre-ISBN
	system... It was "The History of The Lathe" strangely enough...
	and of course it wasn't in Bowker(sp?) _Books_in_Print_
	.   I had interest in the book years ago over the chicken vs. egg
	question, only which came first, the turnscrew or the lathe.
	.   I recall discussion and reproduction of woodcut pictures of
	the early cannon era like Marco Polo, Columbus, DaVinci etc period
	.   A woodcut I remember was of a beam coming out of a wall, a rope
	down and around the work being turned, and attached to a tredle
	depressed and released by the worker. He  held the cutting tool
	to the work while he pumped the tredle up and down, the beam would
	deflect, load up and have the stored energy for the return motion...
	.   The scene turns soon to the inefficient water pumps in the
	coal mines at Cornwall, how out-of-roundness hampered the devel
	opment of the steam engine, and to the job of boring the perfect
	cannon-barrel.....and so on. There is discussion of kingdoms that
	financed weapons technology... how original.

	As a compensation, I found you the following in the _Books_In_Print_:
	Abell, Sydney G. et.al. eds., _A_Bibliography_of_the_Art_of_Turning_
	_&_Lathe_&_Machine_Tool_Industry_,,,
	LC 86-64010   157pages, 1987.
	ISBN 0-942325-00-1    Mus of Ornamental

	you will have to research the machine industry side of it from here.
	best regards, rbeville@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM
	Bob Beville, Tektronix, Inc., Beaverton, OR 97077