[sci.military] urban combat

fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (06/08/89)

From: fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

> [2]
>
> [Bill: Call this topic "irregular troops" or "urban combat", and it'll
> fit under the sci.military charter. 8-) ] What can urban civilians do
> to attack troops, given the "usual" equipment in foreign cities (i.e.
> guns are not usually available)?  For example, I've heard that large
> rocks or cement blocks can be used to detrack tanks, which then are
> more vulnerable if infantry is absent.  Molotov cocktails have been
> used to some good effect in Beijing.  What other things can be done?

One area to study might be the 1950 Hungarian uprising in
Budapest.  There an essentially unarmed populace took on
armored forces successfully for a while.

They had some help, in that a respectable percentage of both
Russian and Hungarian troops either stood aloof from the the
fighting, or actively sided with the civilians.  (The revolt
wasn't put down until Asian soviet troops were brought in.)

Some examples:

Budapest is not flat, so on some tight uphill corners, liquid
soap was poured on the road just ahead of oncoming tanks.  The
first tank in the line hit the soap, lost traction, and ended
up jammed against a building and blocked the progress of the
following tanks.  (They were not well supported by infantry,
which made this sort of thing workable.)

A rope would be run across a narrow street between two buildings.
just before a tank arrived, the rope would be pulled from one to
the other, with some antitank mines tied to the middle of the rope.

On a narrow intersection, some unglazed brown plates were placed upside
down in the roadway.  While the tank commander hesitated, trying to
decide whether or not they were mines, someone would run out from cover
and place a hand grenade (or other explosive) in the tanks' tracks.

Tanks or armored cars (to say nothing of trucks or jeeps) could
not operate in built-up areas of Budapest unless they were
buttoned up: Molotov cocktails would otherwise rain down from high
buildings in the neighborhood.

Incidentally, many of the anti-armor tactics were taught to the
civilians by Hungarian military personnel who had been taught them
by the Russians.

In all this, effective action by the Hungarians depended on
leadership by people like Pal Maleter (an Hungarian Army General)
to direct and inspire the civilians to fight effectively.  They
also needed (and got) direction in tactics and weapons use by
military personnel who sided with them.

There was one instance near the headquarters of the Hungarian
secret police when a police sniper on the roof of the building
began shooting civilians on the ground below.

A Russian tank officer, who had been ordered to observe only,
got fed up watching the scene and climbed into his tank, buttoned
up, and he and his crew proceeded to knock out the searchlights
on the roof (which the sniper needed to select targets), and
continued pounding the top of the building until there was no
more activity up there.  (Things like this required the dispatch
of Asian troops to put down the uprising.)

jharper%euroies.ucd.ie%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Jerry Harper) (06/15/89)

From: Jerry Harper <jharper%euroies.ucd.ie%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Anyone interested, historically, in the formation of guerilla units to combat
regular forces should read "Guerilla days in Ireland" by Tom Barry.  The author
was the leader of an IRA guerilla group colloquially termed a "flying column"
due to the rapid mobility over vey rough terrain.  Barry's group was probably
the most successful of all the guerilla groups in acting against the British
forces, and the book documents not merely the type of weapons they improvised/
used but also ambushing strategies and intelligence gathering techniques.
The dates for these operations lie between 1919 and 1921 during what we term
the War of Independence.  The book may be unavailable at the moment except
through libraries as the current situation in the North has negatively
affected the reception of such books.  Another book on the same theme
is "My fight for Irish freedom" by Dan Breen, a prime instigator in the
independence struggle.  It, however, has much more political analysis than
Barry's work and is slightly more conventional than the latter.  By way of
penultimate comment I should mention that Barry's work is considered a seminal
textbook on guerilla tactics and was used extensively by partisan movements
after WWII (particularly true of the Irgun, by the way).  Finally, the
current successors to the Old IRA legacy, the Provisional IRA, also
publish a series of manuals on the conduct of guerilla warfare.  However, these
are illegal publications here, possession of which usually entails a four year
prison sentence.  Hopefully, anyone coming in contact with such materials
will have the good sense not to circulate them.

Just as a personal aside, which Bill may choose to excise if he wishes, I think
readers of the group who may be considering adopting a fantasy concerning the
excitment and nobility of urban combat would do well to reflect on the threat
which many guerilla groups pose to the population they alledgedly represent.

Disclaimer: The information herein is not provided with the objective of
supporting or condoning guerilla warfare, or garnering sympathy for groups
engaged in guerilla operations.

Jerry Harper                         jharper@euroies.uucp
AI Research Centre                   tel: 353-1-693244 x 2484
Computer Science Department
University College Dublin
Dublin 4
IRELAND

howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz) (06/17/89)

From: howard@cos.com (Howard C. Berkowitz)

Let me preface certain of my remarks with a the comment that they are
intended to stay within the sci.military charter of dealing with military
technology (including tactics).  Especially when dealing with guerillas
in the early -- i.e., Mao/Giap stages I and to some extent II -- phases,
it is virtually impossible to separate political and psychological tactics
of guerillas fromt their combat tactics.  The same basic tactics emerge,
in general, at either end of the guerilla ideological spectrum.

[mod.note: The topic is certainly borderline; but in this article,
as in the previous one, the presentation is excellent.  I can
tolerate straying a bit from the charter, so long as the posting
doesn't draw flames; and I doubt this one will. - Bill ]

  Briefly, my background in this includes graduate study in national
security policy (read that unconventional warfare and intelligence),
work as a writer and research assistant at the Army-funded Center for
Both the above were at The American University in Washington.
Research in Social Systems (formerly Special Operations Research Office).
and engineering devices for low-intensity combat during the late 60s and
early 70s, coupled with continued reading in the field and parties with
the current practitioners!

> From: Jerry Harper <jharper%euroies.ucd.ie%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
> Anyone interested, historically, in the formation of guerilla units to combat
> regular forces should read "Guerilla days in Ireland" by Tom Barry.  The author
> was the leader of an IRA guerilla group colloquially termed a "flying column"
> due to the rapid mobility over vey rough terrain.  Barry's group was probably
> the most successful of all the guerilla groups in acting against the British
> forces, and the book documents not merely the type of weapons they improvised/

     This sounds rather interesting, as guerilla groups (defined as early
     in a guerilla conflict, as opposed to the later stages where guerilla
      units take on more characteristics of regular combatants).
The term "partisan" is reserved by some writers (and used more casually
by others) to refer to such mobile units, which can trace their antecedents
to 19th century irregular cavalry units operating behind enemy lines.
There is a collection of essays, unfortunately in storage at the moment,
which I believe is titled _Readings in Guerilla Warfare_, which has an
extensive article on a Spanish unit in such cavalry operations (Peninsular
War?).   Soviet units in early WWII also occasionally had such a
"traditional" partisan role, as opposed to the more common guerilla
tactic of ambush, disperse, and reform, as opposed to the partisan
style of patrol, strike, and run like hell AS A UNIT.
).  Finally, the
> current successors to the Old IRA legacy, the Provisional IRA, also
> publish a series of manuals on the conduct of guerilla warfare.  However, these
> are illegal publications here, possession of which usually entails a four year
> prison sentence.  Hopefully, anyone coming in contact with such materials
> will have the good sense not to circulate them.

   I don't know if the criminality of such materials is for specific
   titles, or for the general subject.  I am rather amused, however,
   to note that if "left-wing" guerilla texts are forbidden, something
   like the Cypriot offering, "Grivas on Guerilla Warfare,"
   is a thorough text from a very right-wing viewpoint of politics.

> Just as a personal aside, which Bill may choose to excise if he wishes, I think
> readers of the group who may be considering adopting a fantasy concerning the
> excitment and nobility of urban combat would do well to reflect on the threat
> which many guerilla groups pose to the population they alledgedly represent.

I second this comment.  Again and again in guerillas' own handbooks, there
is a point emphasized that it is to the insurgents' ADVANTAGE to have
the central authority strike at the general population; such actions
are perceived as repression and can assist in gaining sympathy for the
insurgents, perceived as opponents of the government.

When looking at a terrorist incident in the news, it is often informative
to ask the question:  while I may be horrified by this, could this act
make solid strategic sense to the guerilla, because it triggered expected
government roundups (for example) of people on the political fringe but
not KNOWN to be guerilla supporters, or triggered some other form
of counteraction which could gain support for the guerillas?  Of course,
in many cases today, terror is a nihilistic action of a few crazies
without a strategic plan.  It's worth knowing the difference.
--
howard@cos.com OR  {uunet,  decuac, sun!sundc, hadron, hqda-ai}!cos!howard
(703) 883-2812 [W] (703) 998-5017 [H]