[sci.military] MBT Tank Turrets

cindi%bucsb.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu (Cynthia Fong) (06/13/89)

From: cindi%bucsb.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu (Cynthia Fong)

    I was catching up on several months backlog of Jane's Defence weekly
and International Defence review when I came across an article with several
artists' rendition of future MBTs. Basically they were nothing very new or
exciting (seen 'em all before :-)), One thing that caught eye though :-

    All the MBT's that are slated to enter service in the 1990's (the French
Le Clerc (sp?), the Korean XK-1, the Japanese MBT (name?), the M-1 upgrade
(with auto-loader)) all have their gun turrets located in the middle of the
hull; that is between the driver and the tank power-pack. This has always
puzzled me as one would think the more logical location for the turret would
be at the back of the tank, behind the driver and it's power-pack (a-la
Israeli Merkava).  All the references that I have looked up on don't seem to
address this question at all : why 80%-90% of the tanks that exists today
(and in the 1990's) have their turrets in the middle of the hull.

    In the Israeli Merkava with it's turret behind the engine, I can see a
lot of advantages going for it :

    a) Extra protection provided by the mass of the engine in front of the
       crew and ammo.
    b) Fast evacuation for the crew in case of emergencies through the back
       exit, an option not available for the "middle turret" tank crews.
       This, I'm  sure saves a lot of lives as a lot of tank crews were
       killed whilst exiting through top hatches in face of enemy fire.
       (of course this assuming that it is knocked out)
    c) Ease of reloading through the back door, (mechanical resupply
       as used in the M-109); also with a back door the tank becomes
       more flexible tactically. In Lebanon, the Merkava was used as an
       APC (albeit very crowded) and makeshift ambulance.
    d) A safer location for the powerpack and fuel tanks with them being
       located at the most thickly armored area of the vehicle.
       (This is a bit shaky though, grasping at straws even :-)

    Well you get the general idea. Why are MBTs still designed with their
turrets in the middle???? I mean the M-109, Scorpion, Bradley, TAM (argentina),
and of course the Merkava have their turrets at the back; it's not as if this
is new unproven stuff...Hidebound traditionalism? The reasons (a) and (b) alone
are good enough reasons to have the turret built at the back of the hull.
The only minuses that I can think of for it are:

    a) Reduced tank gun depression.
    b) Maintenance difficulties realting to access to the power-pack, but
       this shouldn't be much of a big problem; the Merkava doesn't have
       a bad maintenance rep does it?

    Anyway after all this; I may be making a fool out of myself, One of you
chaps will probably blow me out of the water with some simple reason why
the "turret at the back" configuration is not so hot.....Oh Well live and
learn.  Post soon !!!! I'm leaving for a vacation in a few weeks time AND
it's soon going to be MOOT point!!!!! MBTs in the 2000's have NO TURRETS!
They leave their guns dangling out! (external gun) ;-)

Tan See Teng ------------> cindi@bucsb.bu.edu
             ------------> engn1bc@buacca.bu.edu
No end-signature but I'm working on it.

military@att.att.com (Bill Thacker) (06/13/89)

From: military@att.att.com (Bill Thacker)

cindi%bucsb.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu (Cynthia Fong) writes:

>    All the MBT's that are slated to enter service in the 1990's (the French
>Le Clerc (sp?), the Korean XK-1, the Japanese MBT (name?), the M-1 upgrade
>(with auto-loader)) all have their gun turrets located in the middle of the
>hull; that is between the driver and the tank power-pack. This has always
>puzzled me as one would think the more logical location for the turret would
>be at the back of the tank, behind the driver and it's power-pack (a-la
>Israeli Merkava).
>
>    In the Israeli Merkava with it's turret behind the engine, I can see a
>lot of advantages going for it :
>
>    a) Extra protection provided by the mass of the engine in front of the
>       crew and ammo.

But by the same token, having the engine in the rear adds protection
against projectiles coming from that direction... where your armor is
weak.

Your other reasons are all good ones.

>    Well you get the general idea. Why are MBTs still designed with their
>turrets in the middle???? I mean the M-109, Scorpion, Bradley, TAM (argentina),
>and of course the Merkava have their turrets at the back;

The M-109 is self-propelled arty, not an MBT; I expect the sacrifice
is more reasonable there.  The Bradley has a centrally-mounted
turret, I believe, and being an infanty vehicle, has a mutant internal
layout, anyway. And my photo of the TAM shows a centrally-mounted turret,
albeit with a large overhang over the rear deck; but it's hard to tell.
It's possible that the TAM retains the layout of the German Marder MICV
on which it was based; with the engine side-by-side with the driver.

>The only minuses that I can think of for it are:
>
>    a) Reduced tank gun depression.

And this is important; depression is critical for obtaining hull
defilade positions behind hill crestlines.

>    b) Maintenance difficulties realting to access to the power-pack, but
>       this shouldn't be much of a big problem; the Merkava doesn't have
>       a bad maintenance rep does it?

I would think that a good engine design would minimize the difficulties;
but you'd still have problems with routine maintenance; lubrication and the
like.  With the large road wheels in current vogue, it'd be tough even
if you provided side access panels; and the presence of these would weaken
the side armor.

I can think of a few other reasons, but frankly, I don't know for
sure.  Like you, I'm a bit surprised that more rear-turret designs aren't
in use.

1) With the powerplant in the middle, cooling becomes a more difficult
problem.  This is especially important with turbine powerplants like
that of the Abrams.  (Of course, the Merkava makes do, even in the
desert)

2) The transmission and differential have to be either at the front or
rear, wherever you locate the drive sprockets.  It probably improves space
utilization to site the engine at the same place; maybe increases the
power train's efficiency, too.

3) There's something to be said for having the driver in close proximity to
the rest of the crew, rather than separated by the engine compartment. Even
the Abrams, I believe, has a hatch connecting the turret basket and
driver's compartment.

4) Gun overhang seems to be a major concern.  In WWII, for example, the
Germans rejected the idea of copying the T-34 because the longer German
gun, combined with the forward-placed T-34 turret, would create an
unacceptable gun overhang.  I suppose this creates difficulties in
maneuvering the vehicle.  A rearward-placed turret would create similar
problems with the gun traversed to the rear.

5) It may be that it improves the weight distribution to mount
the turret centrally.  The turret represents a major weight
concentration, and perhaps placing it to the extreme rear adversely
affects the balance of the tank.  For example, it might make it prone
to tipping when crossing obstacles or trenches, or increase the
ground pressure in the rear, leading to easier bogging.  If nothing
else, it would require beefing up the rear suspension components.

6) The Abrams, at least, generates smoke by pumping oil into the exhaust
system.  If the engine was centrally located, the smoke would interfere
with the turret's view.

Finally, I suspect, as you mention, that there's a certain amount of
tradition involved.

>it's soon going to be MOOT point!!!!! MBTs in the 2000's have NO TURRETS!
>They leave their guns dangling out! (external gun) ;-)

Uh-huh.  I'll believe it when I see it 8-)   Let's not forget that MBT's
of the 80's were supposed to use gun/missile launchers...

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Bill Thacker      moderator, sci.military      military@att.att.com
		      (614) 860-5294
"War is a matter of vital importance to the State; the province of life
or death; the road to survival or ruin. It is mandatory that it be
thoroughly studied."   -  Sun Tzu

smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) (06/14/89)

From: smb@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin)

Might there be balance problems from the recoil, if the turret were
mounted too far to the rear?  Just guessing...

welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) (06/14/89)

From: welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty)

In article <7406@cbnews.ATT.COM>, Bill Thacker writes:
=cindi%bucsb.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu (Cynthia Fong) writes:
=>    a) Reduced tank gun depression.

=And this is important; depression is critical for obtaining hull
=defilade positions behind hill crestlines.

indeed.  this is one of the reasons why US tank designs have tended
to be taller than Soviet designs since WWII (another reason is that
US tank designers take crew comfort more seriously than Soviet
designers.)

=>    b) Maintenance difficulties realting to access to the power-pack, but
=>       this shouldn't be much of a big problem; the Merkava doesn't have
=>       a bad maintenance rep does it?

=I would think that a good engine design would minimize the difficulties;
=but you'd still have problems with routine maintenance; lubrication and the
=like.  With the large road wheels in current vogue, it'd be tough even
=if you provided side access panels; and the presence of these would weaken
=the side armor.

there is a major advantage to providing a large hatch over the engine
compartment (large enough to pull the engine as a complete unit);
it allows you to do a complete swap quickly when you are in a hurry
(e.g. you need to get units back into combat as soon as possible.)
at least some of the T-series Soviet tanks require disassembly of the
engine inside the compartment piece-by-piece to make repairs.

=2) The transmission and differential have to be either at the front or
=rear, wherever you locate the drive sprockets.  It probably improves space
=utilization to site the engine at the same place; maybe increases the
=power train's efficiency, too.

this is sort of tricky.  if the engine and transmission are at opposite
ends, then you have to provide a driveshaft; a potentially messy problem
in a tank design.  there shouldn't be much effiency loss due to the
presence of a drive shaft; more will be lost in the differential if
the engine is longitudinal instead of transverse.

richard
--
richard welty         welty@lewis.crd.ge.com         welty@algol.crd.ge.com
           518-387-6346, GE R&D, K1-5C39, Niskayuna, New York

jkmedcal@uunet.UU.NET (Jeff K Medcalf) (06/15/89)

From: Jeff K Medcalf <sun!Central!uokmax!jkmedcal@uunet.UU.NET>

>From: cindi%bucsb.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu (Cynthia Fong)
>
>[MBT's for '90's] have their gun turrets located in the middle of the
>hull; that is between the driver and the tank power-pack. This has always
>puzzled me as one would think the more logical location for the turret would
>be at the back of the tank, behind the driver and it's power-pack (a-la
>Israeli Merkava).

In an almost purely defensive tank, such as the Merkava, mobility is sacrificed
for armor and firepower.  Putting the engine at the front both protects it when
the tank is hull-down, and since the engine is less important than in a tank
designed for mobility, means less detriment if the engine is disabled.

However, a hit on the armor over the engine can disable the engine.  Fuel lines
may rupture under the impact shock, seals can be breached, the engine can
vibrate off of its mounting.  In fact, Soviet-made tanks in the desert wars had
a tendency to explode when the hull was hit near the fuel tanks because the fuel
would sometimes leak onto the hot engine...
When you count mobility into suvivability, as the Germans especially do, then
losing the engine means losing a great deal of your ability to survive.  So you
protect the engine.

Also, the engine-in-back scheme has the advantage of making internal
arrangements more comfortable.  With the engine in front, spare ammo is almost
literally under foot unless specially designed racks are used, which cut down
on internal space (as opposed to many tanks having bins for ammo not stored in
the turret).

>    b) Fast evacuation for the crew in case of emergencies through the back
>       exit, an option not available for the "middle turret" tank crews.
>       This, I'm  sure saves a lot of lives as a lot of tank crews were
>       killed whilst exiting through top hatches in face of enemy fire.
>       (of course this assuming that it is knocked out)

A bottom hatch solves this problem.

>    a) Reduced tank gun depression.

Although this could be overcome by digging Merkava in, facing away from the
enemy, so that the gun, rotated aft, has full depression, but the tank can
sprint (well, as much as a Merkava can) away without first reversing.

--
I dream I'm safe				jkmedcal@uokmax.UUCP
In my hotel womb 				Jeff Medcalf

allen%codon1.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Edward Allen;345 Mulford;x2-9025) (06/16/89)

From: allen%codon1.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Edward Allen;345 Mulford;x2-9025)

Richard Welty mentions that U.S. tanks are taller than Russian ones in
part because of crew comfort.  Part of the reason the Russians can get
away with small crew compartments is that they select tank crews
differently.  We design our tanks so that men of a bit greater than
average height can operate them.  They select tank crews from among their
smallest soldiers (smallest 10% is the figure I seem to remember).  My dad
told me about a (nonclassified) orientation film on the Soviet military
organization that he saw when he was in the Air Force.  I believe that's
the source where I first learned this tidbit.  If I remember right,
fighter pilots and cosmonauts were picked from among the shortest men in
the potential pools for the same reason.  I also seem to remember accounts
of the difficulty that crews of Isrealis had with captured Russian built
tanks because of the crewman size difference.

Ed Allen (allen@enzyme.berkeley.edu)

fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (06/20/89)

From: fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <7457@cbnews.ATT.COM>, welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty) writes:

> From: welty@lewis.crd.ge.com (richard welty)
> =cindi%bucsb.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu (Cynthia Fong) writes:
> =>    a) Reduced tank gun depression.
>
> =And this is important; depression is critical for obtaining hull
> =defilade positions behind hill crestlines.
>
> indeed.  this is one of the reasons why US tank designs have tended
> to be taller than Soviet designs since WWII (another reason is that
> US tank designers take crew comfort more seriously than Soviet
> designers.)

The Swedish S-tank (?) did away with the turret entirely.  The use
the adjustable suspension to get elevation and depression of the
main gun.  (And differential steering for aiming.)

This makes for a *really* low profile, but how well does the beast
work in practice?

fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (06/20/89)

From: fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <7405@cbnews.ATT.COM>, cindi%bucsb.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu (Cynthia Fong) writes:

>     In the Israeli Merkava with it's turret behind the engine, I can see a
> lot of advantages going for it :
>
>     a) Extra protection provided by the mass of the engine in front of the
>        crew and ammo.

This is where a tank's armor is usually heaviest anyway...the engine in back
should provide a bit of mass where the armor is thin.

>     b) Fast evacuation for the crew in case of emergencies through the back
>        exit, an option not available for the "middle turret" tank crews.
>        This, I'm  sure saves a lot of lives as a lot of tank crews were
>        killed whilst exiting through top hatches in face of enemy fire.
>        (of course this assuming that it is knocked out)

Several types of tanks have a belly hatch for such departures.  This has
the advantage of providing a bit of cover once you're outside.  Bailing
out during battle often has the disadvantage of putting your soft self
out where bits of hard stuff are zipping about at high rates.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>... Part of the reason the Russians can get
>away with small crew compartments is that they select tank crews
>differently.  We design our tanks so that men of a bit greater than
>average height can operate them.  They select tank crews from among their
>smallest soldiers ...

It's not just a difference in selection procedure; they've also got a
rather different pool of manpower to draw on.  For one thing, the pool
is much bigger (they have universal conscription), so picking the smallest
few percent still gives large numbers of tank crew.  For another, the
sort of mechanical background that one would prefer a tanker to have --
tank crew spend a *lot* of time making repairs -- is rare in the Soviet
Union, so they don't have the complicating factor of trying to select
tankers with the best background.  It wouldn't work in the US.

                                     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                 uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu