[sci.military] Merkava turret

amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Amos Shapira) (06/16/89)

From: Amos Shapira <amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

  The Merkava turret is mounted in the rear of the tank since the engine is
placed in the front, both to provide extra protection to the crew from that
direction (all the flames about lack of rear protection, please remember that
Israeli armour is NOT supposed to retreat [<grin>]) and to maximize space.

  The tank can serve as an APC for up to 10 people, or 2 stretcher and 2 med..
staff, albeit at a cost of reduced ammo storage.

  As for the problem of access for maintainance, the israeli army is NOT (in my
opinion) geared to operate over long periods of time and significant distances
from a depot. Remember, Israel is half the size of Wood Buffalo National
Park.

  The new Merkava model (Mk III), is more powerful (1200bhp vs 900bph in Mk II)
more heavily armed (120 RheinMetal vs L9 105), more heavily armed (90% increase)
, and still maintains the same road speed.

  Moreover, the Mk III now uses a radically new suspension system, utilizing
<technical mumbo jumbo from the IDF blurb which I forgot- sorry), instead of
the traditional hydraulic suspension (with its oil and other smelly substances).

      Marc A. Volovic, Sgt (res.)

P.S. Needless to add- this does not represent the IDF, GOD, DOD, SHAS, or any
other institution. All opinions are my own, and flames will be replied to!

   8-).

thorn@godot.radonc.unc.edu (Jesse Thorn) (06/21/89)

From: thorn@godot.radonc.unc.edu (Jesse Thorn)

In article <7522@cbnews.ATT.COM> amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Amos Shapira) writes:
>  The new Merkava model (Mk III), is more powerful (1200bhp vs 900bph in Mk II)
>more heavily armed (120 RheinMetal vs L9 105), more heavily armed (90% increase)
>, and still maintains the same road speed.

Could someone cite some published references for this vehicle as well as the
Centurion APCs? Something with a technical description and photos or
scale drawings.

Thanks -
Jesse Thorn