[sci.military] F-14

mjt@super.org (Michael J. Tighe) (06/21/89)

From: Michael J. Tighe <mjt@super.org>
>From: <unknown>
>>The F-14 was designed to incorporate many of the lessons learned from
>>Vietnam.  It was designed for ACM performance (though they did skimp
>>a bit on the engines...

The F-14 was designed before we learned any lessons in Vietnam. The F-14
was designed in the late 60's and the contract for it was awarded in
January 1969. The plane first flew on December 21, 1970. It crashed 9 days
later.

The design of the F-14 was based on Grumman's experience with the F-111B
and it did incorporate state of the art technology. (more titanium, better
welding, solid state electronics, etc). The AWG-9 and Phoenix missile
system are evidence it was not designed for ACM.

The Naval Fighter Weapons School came as a result of the Ault Report in
1968. The Ault Report is where we learned our ACM lessons. The first NFWS
class was held in March 1969. Also, since the air-air war didn't resume
until 1972, the ACM tactics taught in NFWS were not tested in actual combat
until after the F-14 was in production.

>From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>They skimped on the engines in the F-14A, which was meant as an initial
>interim version.  The F-14B was to have had much more advanced engines.
>Said engines ran into problems (both technical and financial, I think)
>and the F-14B got quietly forgotten.

The engines of the F-14 are an interesting story. Grumman proposed two
engines for the plane, the TF-30 from the cancelled F111B, and a new
advanced technology engine being jointly developed by the USAF & USN. I do
not know why they chose the TF-30, but it might have been because they were
already designed and ready to go.

4 of the first 13 crashes were attributed to the TF-30. On each of these
crashes, the engine fan blades of the TF-30 had come off. Fixing this
resulted in a cost of $800,000 per plane (over 230 planes had been
delivered at the time). Another unanticipated cost was the heat the engines
generated. As a result, new blast deflectors had to be designed for carrier
operations.

fjs@floyd.ATT.COM (Fred Shubert ) (06/22/89)

From: fjs@floyd.ATT.COM (Fred Shubert )

In article <7636@cbnews.ATT.COM>, mjt@super.org (Michael J. Tighe) writes:
(1742)

>                                           The AWG-9 and Phoenix missile
> system are evidence it was not designed for ACM.

Oh contraire!  The F-14 was built to replace one of the best naval fighters
around, the F-4 Phantom.  When the NAVY issued the formal RFP (Request
for Proposals) in July of 1968, the project known as VFX (Heavier-than-air
Fighter, Experimental), had some requirements left over from the then
terminated F-111B.  They were  1) tandem two-seat twin engined aircraft
incorporating an advanced weapon control system (AWG-9),  2) sophisticated
missile armament including either the AIM-54 Pheonix or a mix of AIM-7
Sparrows and AIM-9 Sidewinders plus  3) an integral Vulcan M61A 20-mm cannon.
The idea of this proposal was to make an aircraft to carry the then
(and still now) deadly Pheonix missile, even though the proposal said
"Pheonix or a mix of".  The NAVY wanted the Pheonix, but wanted the best
dogfighter in the friggin' world.

> The engines of the F-14 are an interesting story. Grumman proposed two
> engines for the plane, the TF-30 from the cancelled F111B, and a new
> advanced technology engine being jointly developed by the USAF & USN. I do
> not know why they chose the TF-30, but it might have been because they were
> already designed and ready to go.

The story also goes that, yes, the P&W TF-30-412A was ready to go and was
the better engine available at the time.  Even when the Tomcat was first
being built, the NAVY awarded R&D monies for the ATE (Advanced Technology
Engine), expecting them to be ready in 1973.  P&W added some shielding
around the engine in 1979 (to prevent the blades that fall off at high
rpm from leaving the aircraft so they can be reused :-) ) and called it a
TF-30-414 and put it in Tomcat #235+.  Then they "tweaked" it in 1982
and called it a TF-30-414A, which we have been stuck with until now.
When the ATE engines became available in 1977-78 (I forgot), GE was the
clear winner.  But NNNNNNNOOOOOOOO, the fool NAVY wanted to second source
the GE engine and asked GE to give P&W the design so the NAVY could buy
the engine from both.  Wisely (?), GE told the NAVY they didn't give a
flying wallenda what they wanted, they wouldn't give anyone the design.
End of ATE engine.  Ain't it strange that GE got the contract for the
F-14B and F-14D engines? :-)  Too bad they just cancelled the contract.
Looks like no more 'cats.

Fred J. Shubert         | "You haven't lived until you've seen a 'cat fly!!!"
Whippany, N.J.          | DISCLAIMER:  All views are that of my own. PERIOD.
Ma-Bell 201-386-3094    |

                 \   /^ ^\   /                         F-14D
              *       O O       *                   (I Love 'Em)