[sci.military] VIFF and AFTI

tjh%bu-pub.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu (Tim Hall) (06/21/89)

From: tjh%bu-pub.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu (Tim Hall)

The term VIFF used by Harrier pilots stands for "vectoring in forward
flight".

This makes me think of the AFTI (advanced fighter technology integration -
i think) F-16 that was built.  I imagine a Harrier pilot could VIFF and
climb with out changing the aircraft's pitch.  The AFTI F-16 was built
to do this and turn without changing roll.  So does anybody know how this
helped the AFTI in dogfights?

Any other interesting things about AFTI?

-Tim

jkmedcal@uunet.UU.NET (Jeff K Medcalf) (06/23/89)

From: Jeff K Medcalf <sun!Central!uokmax!jkmedcal@uunet.UU.NET>

>From: tjh%bu-pub.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu (Tim Hall)
>i think) F-16 that was built.  I imagine a Harrier pilot could VIFF and
>climb with out changing the aircraft's pitch.  The AFTI F-16 was built
>to do this and turn without changing roll.  So does anybody know how this
>helped the AFTI in dogfights?

The basic goal of AFTI is to improve the plane's chance of getting off a shot
by improving "pointability."  For example, assume that you, the pilot of an
F-16A, are chasing a MiG.  You are in his 6, and he is pulling a high-G port
turn.  Your nose points 5 degrees behind him.  IF you are more maneuverable
under the prevailing altitude, speed, energy, and so on, you will probably
eventually catch up to him...if he doesn't reverse and spoil your partial
solution.

Now assume that you are in an AFTI F-16 under the same conditions.  Even
though your direction of flight would not allow you to get a shot off, you
could point your nose, and therefore your cannon, at the enemy... and probably
end up with a quick victory.

There is a great revolution in maneuverability going on in the world right now.
Highly unstable aircraft can slew more quickly than a stable aircraft, thanks
to redundant computers which correct the aircraft's stability by actively
moving the control surfaces (in fact, in the F-18, the pilot tells the computer
what he wants to do, and the computer accounts for the position of the surfaces,
the limits of the airframe, and other factors to actually move the fighter, so
that in effect the pilot is merely suggesting to the computers what they should
do).  The foreward swept wing promises better turning and easier climb.  There
are programs entering the prototyping stage which use vectored thrust to force
a plane beyond normal flight characteristics, and indeed post-stall maneuver
capability seems only 5 to 8 years from full-scale use in production airframes.

--
I dream I'm safe				jkmedcal@uokmax.UUCP
In my hotel womb 				Jeff Medcalf