[sci.military] Douglas Bader/Poetry/D.H. Lawrence

tom@babel.math.ufl.EDU (Tom J Gillen) (06/15/89)

From: tom@babel.math.ufl.EDU (Tom J Gillen)

I'm currently searching for any information concerning the legless British ace
Douglas Bader, whom I believe flew Spitfires in WWII.  Any and all information
or references would be greatly appreciated.

I've recently rediscovered a wonderful poem about him, which I'll post (don't
groan!) or E-mail if anyone is interested.

Speaking of war poetry, does anyone know of any poets, other than Wilfred Owen,
Randall Jarrell, and James Dickey, who write from or about war experience?

Also, does anyone have any information to substantiate/dispell the rumor that
D.H. Lawrence was arrested for purportedly signalling German U-Boats from his
backyard somewhere on the coast of England?

fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (06/20/89)

From: fiddler@Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

> From: tom@babel.math.ufl.EDU (Tom J Gillen)
>
> I'm currently searching for any information concerning the legless British ace
> Douglas Bader, whom I believe flew Spitfires in WWII.  Any and all information
> or references would be greatly appreciated.

You could start with Paul Brickhill's "Reach for the Sky", a bography
of Bader.  "The Colditz Story" also talks about him some during his
period as a POW (sorry, don't remember the author).

shafer@drynix (Mary Shafer) (06/20/89)

From: Mary Shafer <shafer@drynix>
Tom Gillen writes:

>Speaking of war poetry, does anyone know of any poets, other than Wilfred Owen,
>   Randall Jarrell, and James Dickey, who write from or about war experience?

In WW I, Siegfried Sassoon and Rupert Brooke.
In WW II, John Gillespie Magee, jr.

--
M F Shafer                                |Ignore the reply-to address
NASA Ames-Dryden Flight Research Facility |Use shafer@elxsi.dfrf.nasa.gov

NASA management doesn't know what I'm doing and I don't know what they're
doing, and everybody's happy this way.

hjsdvm@ziebmef.uucp (Howard J. Scrimgeour) (06/26/89)

From: hjsdvm@ziebmef.uucp (Howard J. Scrimgeour)
In article <7480@cbnews.ATT.COM> tom@babel.math.ufl.EDU (Tom J Gillen) writes:

>From: tom@babel.math.ufl.EDU (Tom J Gillen)
>

>I'm currently searching for any information concerning the legless British ace
>Douglas Bader, whom I believe flew Spitfires in WWII.  Any and all information
>or references would be greatly appreciated.

The best reference I've seen is the biography "Reach For The Sky"
by Paul Brickhill.

| Howard J. Scrimgeour, D.V.M.                                           |
| hjsdvm@ziebmef.uucp       CIS:75126,2744                               |
| uunet!{utgpu!moore,attcan!telly}!ziebmef!hjsdvm                        |
| "We also walk dogs..."                                                 |