[sci.military] Israel and F-14

amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Amos Shapira) (06/20/89)

From: Amos Shapira <amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

  I have asked around, and got one rumour saying that Israel DID get a "small"
number of F-14 (certainly less than 8, probably ~5). What are they used for,
I have no idea.

Marc A. Volovic, Sgt (res.)

dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Dave Goldblatt) (06/26/89)

From: Dave Goldblatt <dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>

In article <7584@cbnews.ATT.COM> amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Amos Shapira) writes:

>  I have asked around, and got one rumour saying that Israel DID get a "small"
>number of F-14 (certainly less than 8, probably ~5). What are they used for,
>I have no idea.

The only F-14 aircraft sold to anyone other than the Navy and the Marines is
Iran, which purchased 83 (I think.  It might have been 84.) of them.

Too bad, since the F-14 would have probably done a nice job for them; it
was good enough for the USAF, except the Pentagon (USAF brass?) didn't want
thr Air Force to buy another Navy plane..  Then again, look what happened to
the F-20...

Interesting note: The DoD is now going to resume paying part of the
development costs for new programs, as opposed to the current
"out-of-pocket" system they've had for a six or seven years now..

As of a few years ago one of the last Iranian F-14s was still out at
Grumman's Calverton complex -- with the full Iranian Air Force paint
job.  Wonder if the Navy finally just commandeered it for themselves? :-)

(of course, this was a number of years ago, so I doubt it still in mothballs;
after all, it was already paid for!)

-dg-
--

Internet: dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu  or:   dave@clutx.clarkson.edu
BITNET:   dave@CLUTX.Bitnet          uucp: {rpics, gould}!clutx!dave

fjs@floyd.ATT.COM (06/28/89)

From: fjs@floyd.ATT.COM

In article <7739@cbnews.ATT.COM>, dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Dave Goldblatt) writes:

> From: Dave Goldblatt <dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>
>
> In article <7584@cbnews.ATT.COM> amoss%batata.Huji.AC.IL%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYV>M.CUNY.EDU (Amos Shapira) writes:
>
> >  I have asked around, and got one rumour saying that Israel DID get a "small
> >number of F-14 (certainly less than 8, probably ~5). What are they used for,
> >I have no idea.

NO Tomcats were ever sold to Israel.  After the overthrow of the Shah of
Iran, Saudi Arabia was "deeply concerned" over the loss of the Iranian F-14A
Tomcats as a buffer between them and the USSR.  SA wanted to buy Tomcats
immediately, rather than wait for the delivery of their orders of F-15.
The AIR FORCE thought the Tomcat was too sophisticated for the Saudis.

> The only F-14 aircraft sold to anyone other than the Navy and the Marines is
> Iran, which purchased 83 (I think.  It might have been 84.) of them.

There were only 80 F-14A Tomcats sold to Iran:

    VARIANT    Quantity          Bu. No.

   F-14A-GR      30           160299-160328  (equivelant to NAVY Block 90)
   F-14A-GR      50           160329-160378  (equivelant to NAVY Block 95)

> Too bad, since the F-14 would have probably done a nice job for them; it
> was good enough for the USAF, except the Pentagon (USAF brass?) didn't want
> thr Air Force to buy another Navy plane..  Then again, look what happened to
> the F-20...

The Tomcat would have been a nice addition to the AIR FORCE war chest, but
what they got ain't bad at all.  They woulda screwed up the deal anyway,
if they did try to buy the Tomcat.

Fred J. Shubert         | "You haven't lived until you've seen a 'cat fly!!!"
Whippany, N.J.          | DISCLAIMER:  All views are that of my own. PERIOD.
Ma-Bell 201-386-3094    |

                 \   /^ ^\   /                         F-14D
              *       O O       *                   (I Love 'Em)

   Write your congressperson and get the F-14D SuperTomcat back into the air.