[sci.military] MacNeil-Lehrer Report on _Bismarck_

miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout) (06/27/89)

From: miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout)

Did anybody watch MacNeil-Lehrer on Thursday, 22 June?  There was a special
report on the finding of the WW2 German battleship _Bismarck_.

As an introduction to the report, there was a three- or four-minute piece
which was a brief look at the career of the ship.  Unfortunately, it was an
incredibly inaccurate mess that was a disgrace to this otherwise fine program.
Stock "battleship" footage was shown which depicted many ships other than the
_Bismarck_.  It was stated that the Germans were attempting to seize control of
the world's oceans.  It was stated that when the Royal Navy lost the _Bismarck_
after the _Hood_ disaster, she was finally re-located by a single "seaplane"
which fired its "only" torpedo, crippling the battleship's rudder.  There was a
brief interview with a "Naval Historian" whom I had never heard of; he claimed
that the _Bismarck_ had 18-inch guns.  Throughout, the statements "world's
biggest warship" and "world's most powerful battleship" were casually thrown
about.  Virtually every sentence used by the normally excellent Christine
Hunter-Gault contained at least one error.

[ mod.note:  Grrr... their "historian" must've been Johnny Horton.  8-)
- Bill ]

The bulk of the report, which was a live interview with the maritime surveyor
who located the ship, was quite good and informative.

Is there anyone in net.land who may have taped this report?  I would love to
watch it again, catalog the hordes of errors, and write a kind but firm letter
to MacNeil-Lehrer.  Among other things, they should be warned that the "Naval
Historian" they were using as a source doesn't know what he's talking about.

Replies, comments, flames, etc., should be directed to miket@brspyr1.  I can
post to but cannot receive sci.military.

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Michael Trout (miket@brspyr1)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hhm@ihlpy.ATT.COM (Mayo) (06/29/89)

From: hhm@ihlpy.ATT.COM (Mayo)

In article <7778@cbnews.ATT.COM>, miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout) writes:

> watch it again, catalog the hordes of errors, and write a kind but firm letter
> to MacNeil-Lehrer.  Among other things, they should be warned that the "Naval
> Historian" they were using as a source doesn't know what he's talking about.

    Are you sure it wasn,t Martin Caiden? (-: I started reading The Tigers
are Burning last week. The first few chapters were so full of major and
minor errors that I took it back to the library. I wonder why  sloppy
scholorship, that would be intolerable in other fields, seems rampant in
military history.

                                             Larry Mayo