[net.music] SF in music

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (08/15/85)

> From: boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (JERRY BOYAJIAN)
>

> > From: romkey@mit-borax (John L. Romkey)
>
> > And Fleetwood Mac's (Stevie Nicks's) song "Rhiannon" is supposed to
> > be about a Welsh (Welch?) witch. Anybody know if Stevie's still
> > around?
>
> While it's true that the name Rhiannon is a reference from Welsh myth,
> the lyrics from "Rhiannon" don't seem to me to be about such.
>
> --- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

Check out the "Fleetwood Mac Live" album (released following the Tusk tour).

On the live album, there is a version of Rhiannon that Fleetwood Mac recorded
in London.  As is the custom with many live albums, the performers do some
sort of introduction to the song.  Over the opening chords of Rhiannon, Stevie
Nicks says:

    "This is a song...(small pause)...about a Welsh Witch"

    (background noise of crowd fades up then down... then
     "Rhiannon rings like bells in the night, etc, etc,
      dreams unwind, love's a state of mind, etc, etc...)

Case closed.

Incidently, this version of Rhiannon is longer than the studio version, and
contains some other lyrics not heard on the original.  Actually, I like the
live version better.

                       -- Walt Tucker
                          Tektronix, Inc.