[sci.military] Pearl Harbor attack #2

alse%tekig4.len.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Al Seaman) (07/01/89)

From: Al Seaman <alse%tekig4.len.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>

>        With all this talk about Japanese attacks on the U.S. mainland, I
>have a question for you out in net.land. I heard that there was a second
>attack on Pearl Harbor sometime in 1943. If I remember right, two Betty
>bombers were outfitted with long range tanks and took off from Kwajalein(sp?).
>They made a night attack and dropped their bombs on a hillside near Honolulu.
>Does anyone have more info about this raid? With the reduced payload of a long
>range strike, they couldn't have inflicted much damage, so what was it's
>primary purpose, psychological or recc?

        My mom was born and raised in Honolulu. When Pearl was attacked she was
  14 yrs old. So when this topic came up I gave her a call and asked what
  she knew about this event. She said indeed that in 1943 some bombs had
  been dropped in the hills. Fearing another attack they headed for the
  shelters as sirens went off. She said there were only a total of three
  bombs that were dropped. No military persons were called back to any of the
  bases for emergency staus. She then went on to explain that the day after
  this event the details were in the paper. What really had happened was that
  two or three US planes were returning to base. One of them was crippled and
  had some ammo on board. Fearing a crash landing it was told to unload its
  payload in the hills. This account also coincided with the info her father
  (my grandfather) had told them. He was stationed at Fort Rugers at the time.
  Unless there is documented proof today that this was actually an attack,
  this is what was reported to the civilians as having happened at that
  particular time.

	On another Pearl theme. She also told me that on the evening of Dec. 7,
  one lone zero had dropped another bomb. Damage was minimal, but it did
  destroy Punahoa School. Only the kids were glad. The only thing the military
  could figure out, is that this one plane had gotten lost or separated from
  its group, or was just a suicide run. They didn't have any idea where it
  came from.

 -                                 Al Seaman                                 -
 -                                 alse@tekig4.LEN.TEK.com                   -
 -                                 Beaverton, OR                             -