[sci.military] The need for a B-2

IA80024%MAINE.BITNET%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Nicholas C. Hester) (06/29/89)

From:    "Nicholas C. Hester" <IA80024%MAINE.BITNET%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Why would this country need such an expensive turkey as the B-2 when we have
52 F-117 Stealth attck/fighters? These are proven to fly, and (from what i've
read-i'm new to the list) just as hard to detect.

=Nick=
ia80024@maine.bitnet
ia80024@maine.maine.edu

[mod.note:  Theoretically, one might presume the B-2 has enhanced range
and bombload relative to the F-117.  I'll leave a more exhaustive
comparison to the rest of the group 8-)  - Bill ]

dlj@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (david.l.jacobowitz) (06/30/89)

From: dlj@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (david.l.jacobowitz)

In article <7849@cbnews.ATT.COM>, IA80024%MAINE.BITNET%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Nicholas C. Hester) writes:

> From:    "Nicholas C. Hester" <IA80024%MAINE.BITNET%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
> Why would this country need such an expensive turkey as the B-2 when we have
> 52 F-117 Stealth attck/fighters? These are proven to fly, and (from what i've
> read-i'm new to the list) just as hard to detect.

The book "Stealth and the art of Black Magic" lists the RCS
(Radar Cross Section) of both the F-117A and the B-2.
The RCS of the F-117A is supposedly 0.5 m (I don't remember the
figure exactly, but that is the right order of magnitude);
the RCS of the B-2 bomber is approximately 0.000005 m (I could be
off on this figure by a decimal place in either direction but you
get the idea).
This seems to indicate that the B-2 would be much harder to
detect with conventional radar than the F-117A.
Dave J.
usual disclaimer implied
ark2!dlj

bash@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Basham) (07/01/89)

From: bash@ihlpb.ATT.COM (Basham)

Concerning the use of older, long-wave radars to detect stealth
aircraft:  I've yet to hear this from a documented and
authoritative source.  Maybe there has been some knowledgable
source who released this info, but all I've heard is from

****SARCASM MODE ON****

the wonderful, objective, and accurate

****SARCASM MODE OFF****

news media.  They never quote any sources as they show file tapes of
wrong aircraft shooting down drones.

Even if this is true, I would think that effective ECM has
been developed to combat this supposedly obsolete radar.

Then again, maybe the whole thing is one big disinformation campaign.
Oh, well.

Tom
Tom Basham   	     AT&T Bell Laboratories        (312) 979-6336
att!ihlpb!bash				"If you can't beat 'em, infiltrate
bash@ihlpb.ATT.COM             	         and destroy them from within."
bash@cbnewsd.ATT.COM