[sci.military] Military miscellany

miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout) (06/30/89)

From: miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout)

Subject: F-106 Delta Dart

In sci.military Digest   V2 #34  "Nicholas C. Hester"
  <IA80024%MAINE.BITNET%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:

> I guess since fighters can't have air to ground capabilities that means the US
> doesn't have any TRUE fighters in it's arsenal. Unless we have any Delta Darts
> running around...

The last group of F-106A and F-106B Delta Darts was retired recently; sometime
last year, I think.  If I remember correctly, one final squadron was based at
Griffiss AFB, and were replaced with F-15s.  Nine USAF and ANG squadrons were
using Darts as late as mid-1984.  Another interesting airplane type passes into
history.  I suppose this also means that the hilarious AIM-2A Genie "Blivet"
missile has also been retired, although I'm not sure if this wasn't quietly
done anyway some time ago.

--------------------------

Subject: History of Grenades

In sci.military Digest   V2 #34  Bill Thacker (military@att.att.com) writes:

> I'm hoping some readers can fill in some gaps in the following facts.
> [ ... ]
> At this point, special troops, Grenadiers, were trained in the use
> of grenades.  However, by the 1800's, that term had come to mean instead
> an elite unit of infantry  (according to _Wilhelm's Military Dictionary
> and Gazeteer_ of 1881, "the first company of every battalion on foot.")

My understanding of how this semantical change occurred is based on the type of
men who originally threw grenades.  As the "hand bombs" of those days were
heavy and unwieldy, unreliable, and just as dangerous to the throwers as to the
intended victims, it took a special kind of maniac to be willing to expose
yourself to close-range fire in order to hurl a spurious weapon at the enemy.
Such men tended to be bigger, stronger, more aggressive, and braver than the
average soldier, and therefore soon began to develop a highly effective esprit
de corps.  As firearms became more effective and grenades did not, the grenades
generally disappeared but the high-quality grenadiers continued on as elite
infantry.

> I'm guessing that the term "grenadier" is French,

Yes, it is.

--------------------------

Subject: Navy money troubles

In sci.military Digest  V2 #34  dlj@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (david.l.jacobowitz)
   writes:

> How is it that there never seems to be enough money for
> Navy (i.e. Tomcat) aircraft improvements, while the Air
> Force has had money for the F-15 models A,B,C,and D;
> the F-16 models A,B,C; the F-111A,C,D,E,F,...ad infinitim.
> Is it just me or does the Navy always seem to have more
> of a problem than the Air Force persuading Congress to
> provide dollars for aircraft improvement?

Historically, the various services continually battle for their "fair" portion
of the pie.  Air forces usually have a slight edge, as their service is
sexier, more glamorous, and seems to have more exciting ways of displaying
their wares (air shows, etc.).  This is true for ALL nations, not just the USA,
although the American public's near-sexual attitude about air power doesn't
help the gross pro-air imbalance.  Note that in the Pacific theater in WWII,
the amount spent per year per US Army soldier was $4,300, of which a staggering
$1,429 went for air power (the next highest categories were $643 for ordnance
and $571 for food)!  And the percentages sucked up by air are much higher
today, resulting in even less bang for the buck.

Another problem is how the US Navy is forced (or, more properly, forces
itself) to maintain both a navy AND and air force.  Since air power is the
most expensive weapon extant, the US Navy is quite handicapped in its ability
to pay for everything it wants.  Of course, the USN also has a bad habit of
seeking the most expensive possible solution to everything--supercarriers and
SuperTomcats being good examples.

It's ironic that, generally speaking, the USN has in recent years (Reagan era)
received roughly the same yearly budget as the USAF.  Yet the USN often spends
slightly more money on aircraft than on ships.  The USN's overall purpose has
been forgotten in a frantic effort to keep over a dozen carriers
well-supplied with some of the best (and most expensive) warplanes in the
world.  Given the possibilities of changing naval tactics that may be
increasing the vulnerability of supercarriers, this may be inevitable.  But
it's a dead-end street that ends up with the USN trying to do everything at
once and, therefore, ultimately doing nothing.

> Those Tomcat upgrades are essential in view of
> 1) the Billion Dollar Carriers they are supposed to be
> protecting (now from those super-maneuverable Mig-29s
> and Su-27s with their thrust/weight ratios greater than unity),

I would dispute this being "essential."  Crew quality is to air combat as
pitching is to baseball, i.e. 80% of the game.  US aircrews, both USAF and USN,
are by far the world's finest (with the possible exception of Israelis, West
and East Germans, and perhaps some RAF units).  Exceptions to this rule abound,
but US pilots flying F-89 Scorpions could probably make mincemeat of most
Soviet/Eastbloc/Arab pilots flying MiG-29s.  Yes, our supercarriers are
starting to look "nakeder" all the time, and the latest MiG-29/Su-27/MiG-31
generation is indeed a superb group of airplanes.  But the world's greatest
weapons wielded by mediocre personnel will always lose to mediocre weapons
wielded by the world's greatest personnel.  The solution to supercarrier
vulnerability does not, I hope, lie with still another quantum leap in aircraft
spending.

> and 2) the highly trained pilots whose lives depend on their
> engines being reliable.
> Pilots have been killed because Congress hasn't provided funds to
> replace those TF-30s with more reliable (and smokeless) engines.

A separate, and quite possibly valid, issue.  Could you provide data on how
many F-14s have crashed due to engine failure caused by TF-30 unreliability?  A
certain number of accidents and deaths is inevitable with all weaponry, and the
numbers generally rise with increasing weapon complexity and potency.  We COULD
produce weapons with 99.9999% crew safety records, but we would bankrupt the
nation in the process.

> There also doesn't seem to be enough money for the Northrop TCS
> (Television Camera System).
> [...description deleted...]
> How can this *not* be installed in the F-14?

See above.  The USN is simply trying to do too much, and there isn't enough
money for everything.  By definition, the role they established for themselves
back in the late 1940s is coming to haunt them.  I would agree that TCS is
something that should be funded.  But I would also suggest obtaining some of
that money by killing some SuperTomcats, supercarriers, and superTridents, and
you can just imagine the howls of protest that would raise.  The admirals in
charge of the procurement programs for the "supers" have more clout than the
admiral in charge of TCS procurement.  Any active procurement admiral who
suggests cutting one program in order to fund another will find himself in
charge of the Aleutian garbage scow fleet.

--
NSA food:  Iran sells Nicaraguan drugs to White House through CIA, SOD & NRO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Michael Trout (miket@brspyr1)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bsmart@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Smart) (07/05/89)

From: vrdxhq!vrdxhq.verdix.com!bsmart@uunet.UU.NET (Bob Smart)

In article <7878@cbnews.ATT.COM>, miket@brspyr1.brs.com (Mike Trout) writes:

> history.  I suppose this also means that the hilarious AIM-2A Genie "Blivet"
> missile has also been retired, although I'm not sure if this wasn't quietly
> done anyway some time ago.

The AIR-2 Genie was retired a while ago. notice the difference AIM stands for
Air intercept Missle, AIR is Air intercept Rocket. The difference is
guidance, the missle has it the rocket doesn't. The AIR-2 was a purely
ballistic weapon. the launch platform computed the trajectory and the
target path and fired when appropriate, basically a big bullet. It was designed
to wipe out bomber formations By the way it was a nuke ( I can't remember
the size) In William Tell compettion ( the air defence competition) the
accuaracy was surprisingly good.

Bob Smart (bsmart@verdix.com)